All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > General Talk (Off Topic)
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 27th March 2016, 05:12   #1
Qube
Administrator

Default AMR - What do I do?

Hi all,

I'm here to ask simply, what do I do with AMR?

We all know it's a shadow of it's former self. The user base has dwindled, it's activity is minimal and new content is all but none existent. There are a few members of old that continue to post which I am highly appreciative.

Personally I do not have time to be an admin and monitor the ongoings here daily. As the only admin (I think I am) the new registration of users has been disabled for a few years and this has definitely added in stunting any potential growth.

So I really need to know your thoughts on the following.

1.. Do I leave it as it is now? as more of an archive.
2.. Open registration and recruit mods / admins to be active in it's day to day running.
3.. Accept it as a dead dodo and close it down all together?.

Hosting and bandwidth costs are not an issue and there will be no request to aid on that side.

Honest and open debate is welcome... Do I leave this forum as an archive (to current members only) or are there members who want to be admins / mods who have the time to help, build and moderate this forum?
Qube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 03:16   #2
JohnM

It would be sad to see it die, but to how many people?
Attracting new builders to an all but dead forum might be challenging, but there would be no revival without them.
I could help moderate , if I knew what the duties of a moderator were. I have time to look in a lot more often than I do.
To keep running just for the sake of a half dozen members seems a bit futile.
I know your father wanted to keep it going, an alternative could be a tribute website to his work.
Just a few thoughts.

John
JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 03:22   #3
JohnM

But it would be sad to see it die.
JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2016, 06:36   #4
Qube
Administrator

Smile

Thanks JohnM.

It's clear from the unfortunate lack of member participation that the best thing to do is leave things as they are and let AMR become a tribute to Shamus and all those that aided in making AMR what it was.

There are many great contributions from members and although I personally have no interest in model railroading I can appreciate the talent and commitment posted here. There are a great many threads from talented members that I feel need to be available to both old and new model railroaders.

I shall leave the new member registrations disabled and continue the forums as they have been for a long while.

To those both old and new who visit here... I hope you find inspiration
Qube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2016, 19:56   #5
kaustav

I missed this post since I was away from model railroading for quite a while and this thread was posted when I was travelling and away from home - so not sure whether this is too late or not.

I have built some of the most lasting relationships here in this forum, friendships that are going strong for a decade even though the activity in this forum is feeble. So, I do think it is possible to revive this forum if we want to. Not only there are wealth of information in this forum, the members of this forum are one of the most dedicated and talented model railroaders that I have seen - and I am a part of three other forums where I am a regular. So I think this forum still has something to offer.

So, this is what I think:

- Call for a reassembly for the existing members. This has to be done by sending emails to them, given the forum is inactive most of the people don't visit here anymore, so just opening a thread won't help. I am confident that quite a few old folks would be interested to start posting here again once they see an active peer group.
- Reopen new registration once there is some traction through the existing members
- Next step is where it will become tricky and will involve some cost. Given the forum is lost in the web, an SEO needs to be done to ensure the forum comes back to the front pages of the searches like it used to be.
- Do some marketing through FB by creating a FB page (free of cost) and utilizing the network of existing members first, and then depending on how things go, even think of paid marketing.
- We might need a face-lift of the forum to make it more suitable for today, but those things can be thought of once we have some traction.

I am always there for bringing it back to glory, and I think it's doable.

Kaustav
kaustav is offline   Reply With Quote