All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Scratchbuilding & Kitbashing
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 20th March 2011, 21:00   #11
mysterd429

Default Re: Scratch building engine and cars

I will second the thanks, Steve. I've had in the back of my head to try this when I have some scratch-built rolling stock I'm happy with. That's yet to happen for me, but it's good to see the technique in action for someone else!
mysterd429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 21:20   #12
B-17_Fortress

When I've made boxcars, I either drill out some of the resin from the moulding to reduce weight, or insert a foam blank a little smaller than the mould to take up volume in the mould. This reduces the weight and saves on resin. The foam is tack glued to two bits of balsa which sit on the top flat face of the mould witha small weight on top to stop it floating out of the mould as the resin is poured in. The silicone mould itself was made from a bought chassis, glued to a flat piece of plastic. A styrene box was then built around the chassis to enable the silicone rubber to be poured in. Once the silicone was cured, the styrene box was pulled apart and the silicone rubber was peeled away from the chassis. The less catalyst that is used in the rubber, the softer it will be, prolonging the mould life.
B-17_Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 21:26   #13
B-17_Fortress

There's an article I did about scratch building and moulding vehicles in the AMR Library, and it can be found here - http://www.amrline.com/showthread.ph...980#post200980

In the article, I mention the use of bath/kitchen silicone sealer, but this is only really any use on very small items. It also mentions using a release agent which isn't generally needed with proper moulding silicone. I just needed it when using bath silicone as that is designed to stick to everything, and you don't want it sticking to your pattern.
B-17_Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 00:48   #14
fwms

Thanks again Steve, I’m not sure I have the ability to create a mold like your truck shown in the ‘Making Resin Cast Vehicles’ thread but the information in there has given me inspiration to try.
fwms is offline   Reply With Quote