All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Scratchbuilding & Kitbashing
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 16th March 2011, 13:00   #1
fwms

Default Scratch building engine and cars

Iím new to this (or any model train) form and have seen some very impressive stuff here. I would like to try my hand at scratch building some train cars but am unsure what type of trucks you might recommend. Is there a standard that one should go by when selecting trucks? Are there some I should not consider? And finally, is there a place I can find an engine without the outside detail? I would like to build something of my own design but I donít want to destroy a new engine doing so.

Thanking you in advance, F
fwms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 03:01   #2
BR60103

Default Re: Scratch building engine and cars

Fred: by type of truck did you mean a model manufacturer or a prototype?
I think most of the trucks sold separately in the hobby shop are good to excellent -- just avoid any where the wheels and axles are all plastic.
For prototype, for most of the 20th Century, a Bettendorf* side frame would be suitable for freight cars, until you get something specialized like roller bearing or high weight.
I don't know about detail-less locomotives. Do you want something to practise on and then throw away or something you will run for a long time? If you want a good runner, I'm afraid that you'll have to buy a body that's respectable with it. Unless you want to do a full scratchbuild and just buy a chassis (they're available for diesels)

* (or one that looks like it)
BR60103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 04:07   #3
RW James

I generally replace all the wheel-sets on my plastic models with Kadee wheels - so I would bet their trucks would be a good choice.
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 10:36   #4
B-17_Fortress

Hi

What scale are you working in? What country are you modelling the rolling stock from?

I've made a few flat cars and other wagons in the past in N scale. I bought wheels/sideframes/couplers, then used an existing wagon to make a silicone mould. From that I case resin wagons onto which I fitted the commercial wheel sets.

Steve
B-17_Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 13:20   #5
fwms

David: thank you for your response, a lot of good info there.

Rick: thanks for reminding me that Kadee wheels are available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-17_Fortress View Post
Hi

What scale are you working in? What country are you modelling the rolling stock from?

I've made a few flat cars and other wagons in the past in N scale. I bought wheels/sideframes/couplers, then used an existing wagon to make a silicone mould. From that I case resin wagons onto which I fitted the commercial wheel sets.

Steve
Iíve been thinking HO scale and I like Mr. Templarís web site (with all that wonderful info) so much that Iím leaning towards a USA logging setup.

What sort of resin did you use to cast the wagons with?
Old 17th March 2011, 18:25   #6
B-17_Fortress

The resin was a UK product called 'Fastglass', a 20 minute polyester car body repair resin, but I've used it a great deal for casting small vehicles and rolling stock amongst other things!
Old 17th March 2011, 22:33   #7
fwms

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-17_Fortress View Post
The resin was a UK product called 'Fastglass', a 20 minute polyester car body repair resin, but I've used it a great deal for casting small vehicles and rolling stock amongst other things!
Polyester resin... thanks I'll have to remember that the next time I'm at the train/hobby store. Do you add fiberglass cloth to it to strengthen say a flat car? Sorry for all the questions, but this is all new to me.
Old 17th March 2011, 22:43   #8
B-17_Fortress

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwms View Post
Polyester resin... thanks I'll have to remember that the next time I'm at the train/hobby store. Do you add fiberglass cloth to it to strengthen say a flat car? Sorry for all the questions, but this is all new to me.
No fibre glass, but I did add a 1/64 or 1/32 plywood deck on top of the resin chassis for the flat cars. The others had enough depth in the wagon to not need any reinforcing.
Old 17th March 2011, 22:54   #9
B-17_Fortress

I found these pictures in one of my old threads of the chassis silicone mould and resin casting for one of my flat cars.

Old 18th March 2011, 04:03   #10
fwms

Wow, Steve thank you. Iím a visual and those pictures are very helpful.