All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Design and Plan your layout -- (Track Plans)
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd November 2010, 22:56   #1
RW James

Default Track centers in the station

On my layout I've let the Hornby points dictate the centers for parallel tracks - around 2.25 inches. But when I tried that in the station, the tracks seemed to be spaced too far apart - and planning for an island platform along with the track cover supports - I'm seeing I need to lay this track over again.

I've done a little bit of research on loading gauges - though there isn't a lot of consistency between sources. But it seems to me, with the small equipment I'm running, and considering that the tracks stub end just past the station (so the trains for the most part will be standing) - I should be good with centers of between 36 and 38 mm.

I've laid the track out and set engines and coaches on the tracks. They're close - but not touching. (I should also not that the track here is perfectly straight.)

To be clear - the track arrangement is this: Station platform, tracks 1 & 2, island platform, track 3, goods platform. What I'm looking at is the distance between tracks 1 & 2. (The glass track cover will be supported by columns on all three platforms.)

Is my logic sound here? Or am I missing something?
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 00:36   #2
RW James

Default Re: Track centers in the station

I just re-measured my tracks. They are originally spaced at 80 mm. I put a track down between two, so it is effectively centered on 40 mm on both sides. I loaded up the tracks with engines and coaches and it seems to have enough room. (Of course a derailment will be a disaster - especially under the cover - oh well)
Old 24th November 2010, 04:17   #3
BR60103

Rick:
I think the British "nominal" spacing is 10 feet. That is 40mm in OO scale. They refer to the bits of width as "the four-foot" and "the six-foot". Where there are more than 2 tracks there is an extra spacing for drainage between the firt pair and the second.
Hornby points are not designed to give a prototype spacing. I think they are set to match the spacing between the numbered radii that they use. I think Peco (not set-track) points are closer but still not scale and are consistent over 3 sizes.

There is a thread about this on RMWEB. Somewhere.
BR60103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 06:16   #4
RW James

Thanks David - 10 feet sounds about right.

Yeah, I read about the four foot and six foot thing, but didn't totally understand, but it makes sense now.

I did a search on RMWEB but came up with nothing - probably didn't know the right key words to search for.
Old 25th November 2010, 03:59   #5
BR60103

Rick: these threads showed up in a query for "six-foot". Enjoy the debate!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/ind..._1#entry258529

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/ind..._1#entry231160
BR60103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 06:24   #6
RW James

Thanks David - that was indeed entertaining.

When I was researching this, I found a couple of reports of people being killed standing in the six foot way as trains passed on both sides. Easy to see how that would happen. (Just an interesting aside.)

Anyway, when I saw the loading gauge distance from track center to platform being 5 feet, then center to center would be 10 feet or 40 mm. If you subtract the track width of 16.5 mm, then you end up with 23.5 mm which is awfully close to 6 feet (24 mm). Of course, as was pointed out in those discussions, I'm totally ignoring the width of the railhead.

Oh well. But once again, I'm not using these centers on curves. The tracks are absolutely straight (except for one crossover). As for my curves, I'm letting the Hornby set track determine these centers, and so far it seems to be working.