All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Scratchbuilding & Kitbashing
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 20th August 2010, 23:06   #1
JohnReid

Default Sergio Leone Movie Set Diorama

JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2010, 23:24   #2
JohnReid

Default Re: Sergio Leone Movie Set Diorama

This diorama is dedicated to the great director Sergio Leone and his film masterpiece "Once Upon A Time In The West."
Old 20th August 2010, 23:37   #3
JohnReid

Old 21st August 2010, 00:01   #4
JohnReid

Old 21st August 2010, 00:50   #5
JohnReid

I like to build my dioramas using the modular idea.Module #1 will be the basic movie set.Other modules may follow and will be added to the basic module depending on how things go.(at 70 you don't plan too far ahead)
This diorama will be in 1/24 scale which will allow for lots of detail and weathering fun.The dimensions of this first module will be about 33"X54".If I stop after building after finishing the first module I will probably put it on an oval base to get rid of all the squareness involved in building on a rectangle.
The first rule of diorama making is not to put anything square to the base so I will build this first module on an angle.
In the movie there a two tracks,one with the train on it and the other with half a passenger car with a shack built over it.Normally these two tracks would probably be parallel to one another which only adds to the squareness of the scene but with proper composition I should be able to minimize most of this.
In addition to the train and shack their will be a water tower and windmill.
I also plan to put an empty directors chair with Sergio's name on the back.
I also have a nice group of 6 figures in 1/24 scale that could be added as spectators or crew but for this first module I will leave them out and use them only if I decide upon adding more modules.As it stands now this is a tribute piece to the director so I will just leave it this way.
Old 21st August 2010, 14:01   #6
JohnReid

I think that 1/24 scale is perfect for this diorama.Sergio was a stickler for detail, so lots of detail there will be.Perfect composition was what he strived for, so arranging all the detail is critical to this piece.He has taught me a lot already but there is still lots to learn and what better way to learn than from the master.
I may make this module in two pieces and then screw them together which will make it more convenient to work on as well as save my poor old back.
I really like this modular idea for two reasons,the above plus an even more important reason.I have seen so much great 3D artwork,yes art work,go in the garbage pail over the years especially the large layouts of the RR guys.The family hasn't room,the interest or whatever.Maybe it is because I am reaching a certain age that I think about things like this but it really is a tragedy in my mind.In some cases they would probably like to keep something in the family from uncle Joe or Grandpa Fred and can't because it would be all or nothing at all.
My solution would be to pick an area of your layout that is the main story or what you are most proud off and build it from the beginning with preservation in mind.Make it in a separate module that can be detached when the time comes.
You say, why should I give a sh't i will be dead.Well I think we should give a s'it for two reasons.One as a legacy for our future family and the other as a history of our artform.If this is truly the golden age of modeling then we owe it to the artform that has given us so much pleasure over the years.Wouldn't you love to have all those trading cards and comic books that you or your dad threw out ? and not for just the material value ? but for the history that they represent and your own enjoyment?Think about it.
Old 21st August 2010, 15:05   #7
RW James

This looks like a great project. I look forward to seeing more.
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2010, 19:45   #8
Made in Italy

Being both passionated by trains and films I'll follow this thread with much interest.
By the way a question (nothing to see with trains) what is and what does a "gaffer" do?
Franco
Made in Italy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2010, 20:08   #9
RW James

Head electrician http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaffer_(filmmaking)

Probably the most I've heard the word used is in reference to gaffer's tape which amateur filmmakers like myself replace with duct tape which is close in most ways except price. It's used to tape down wires to the floor so people don't trip over them.
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2010, 21:16   #10
JohnReid