All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Scratchbuilding & Kitbashing
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 8th June 2010, 10:10   #11
TCWORLD
Mod Squad

Default Re: Railway crossing lights

I thought I'd show you this. My very simple way of maying a NE555 square wave output to alternate polarity of LEDs:

Hope you find this useful. If you want a different flash rate, adjust the value of R2 by anywhere between 50k and 200k (the larger the value, the longer the On time - You will need to increase the 220uF capacitor to 1000uF if you increse R2 to above 150k. The 220uF cap can be increased to larger values if the lights fade off too quickly).
TCWORLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 15:12   #12
hpept

Thank you Tom. It looks quite interesting. I will give a try to this circuit to see if it works for me. I thought that ti invert polarity would require some trickery on the output, such the use of transistors, but your suggested circuit may be do it witout problems (I admit my ignorance about integrated circuits as my knowledge is limited to passive RLC circuits).
Is the duty cicle of the output 50%? is it possible to tweak the fading rate? How do I calculate the on time? You said t=RC, but in the case you showed 220e-6*1000=220msec, which may be too fast blinking. Am I doing right?
Please let me know.

Roberto

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCWORLD View Post
I thought I'd show you this. My very simple way of maying a NE555 square wave output to alternate polarity of LEDs:

Hope you find this useful. If you want a different flash rate, adjust the value of R2 by anywhere between 50k and 200k (the larger the value, the longet the On time (You will need to increase the 220uF capacitor to 470uF if you increse R2 to above 150k).
hpept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 19:31   #13
wickman

Fanatastic How To, turned out great.

Location Great White North

The Layout http://www.all-model-railroading.co....ead.php?t=2907
wickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 02:14   #14
hpept

Hi friends,
I just uploaded on youtube a video of the whole setup working. I think it looks pretty neat.
I played a little with the audio of the clip adding real sounds (they dont come from the layout as I dont have DCC).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBr8nicvc30

Credits to TCWORLD for the electronic circuit. The fading lights really add that touch of realism.

Enjoy & comment.
Old 12th June 2010, 04:00   #15
RW James

Very realistic - so much so that I expected the cars to take off after the signal stopped. Good job
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 11:05   #16
TCWORLD
Mod Squad

The lights are looking great. Thanks for posting the video.
TCWORLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 11:21   #17
kaustav

Great work there... and wonderful animation.

By the way, The cars and vehicles didn't start moving after the engine passed and the light stopped flashing... anything wrong??!!!
kaustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 14:02   #18
mysterd429

And you're a violinist, too? I thought no one else in the world had both hobbies ;-) That crossing gate looks awesome. When I've got the space for a layout, I'll definitely build a few of your crossing gates.
mysterd429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 00:42   #19
hpept

Don, I have so many hobbies that my days should be at least 30 hours long.
Ive started to play violin one year and a half ago, but Ive been playing other instruments previously, like piano and guitar.
If you follow the link Ive posted above and go to my chaneel you will find some videos of me playing.
Im glad to know that you liked my crossing lights and that my "how to" was useful.

Roberto

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterd429 View Post
And you're a violinist, too? I thought no one else in the world had both hobbies ;-) That crossing gate looks awesome. When I've got the space for a layout, I'll definitely build a few of your crossing gates.
Old 14th June 2010, 11:24   #20
JackBlack

Nice video there Roberto.
JackBlack is offline   Reply With Quote