All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > H0/00 - Scale
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 4th February 2014, 02:31   #51
JohnM

There are a few. This winter has been fairly quiet on the building front. I have managed to get all the way round to Brockville and have started ballasting there.

There has been a small shelf built under the trestle / rockfill area. The trestle is only temporary as I will build a better one in time, but the plastic was available in the boxes of bits.

Also the fascia is all the way round too.
Lyn has had to fall by the wayside (along with maybe half the stations), but I had to put in where I live on the grand scheme of things. It's where the Tardis is, just through the S bend on the Red Rd.

The Snoopy shape is where Lyn Falls will eventually go. The "dog tag" is a rock in the middle of the falls. Not many people know about Lyn Falls, it's about 2 km from me.

Here is where I've gone through the wall in to the roof space, but I've never really been comfortable with this. Instead I'm going to open that area right up between the studs.

This is my buddy Steve's 4-8-2 mountaineer in the mainline, (then GTR, now CN). This is set up as a DC test track, and I spent a few days cleaning up a lot of my older locos.

I've finished the loco roster. This is #65,

and the newest one #64

All of them in Westport for a photo op. From L 2 R #65, 67, 64, 66.

They are all Spectrum stock.

Here is a newer pic of Forfar.

There are some more pics on my blog.

http://johnm-bwnw.blogspot.ca/

Cheers
JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 17:46   #52
JohnM

One thing I should have mentioned in the last post is that I had my young lady burn a cd with the tracks of steam sounds that Franco sent me. That really makes the layout come alive. Thanks Franco
Old 5th February 2014, 20:49   #53
Made in Italy

Happy you liked it
Just can't understand why you left those solenoids in sight
Franco
Made in Italy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2014, 16:58   #54
JohnM

Those solenoids are a bit sore thumbish. I'm open to suggestions. Too close to the track for a building. I could possibly coat a scrap of material with scenicing, so it would look like a berm without affecting the mechanism.
Old 6th February 2014, 20:20   #55
Made in Italy

Wink

What do you think of replacing them with underoperated ones? ;-)
Old 18th February 2014, 01:40   #56
JohnM

Honestly the thought of ripping it out to cut slots is less than appealing.

http://www.all-model-railroading.co....7&pictureid=78

In this pic there is one just behind the fence. I put this one in for the Klutz factor, eventually I plan on wiring the poles. There are three others in Westport that I put in from an operational point of view, to save dodging back and forth around the wye.

If you didn't like Brockville You'll hate Athens. I used nine there. The five in the forefront I'm going to rip out though (the sore thumb thing) and go back to Caboose Ind ground throws.

Here's some attempts at camoflage. Nothing is glued down here.

http://www.all-model-railroading.co....7&pictureid=77

On the left is WS light green foliage sheet, and on the left half of that I have sprinkled some ground scatter. The middle one has ground foam covering it, and the one on the right is painted grey to blend with the ballast and a couple of trees in front.

The idea was to show some ongoing improvements.

So, see anything you like?

Cheers

John
Old 23rd February 2014, 11:20   #57
Made in Italy

The overall look is good, back to the switches what about the good old "wire in tube" system?
Old 24th February 2014, 19:58   #58
JohnM

That's a good possibility. I'll take a look at that. Maybe with some switch boxes.

I suppose to understand what I'm aiming for needs a quick review of the timeline.

The line opened in 1888. Always strapped for cash, ten years later they were in such dire financial straits that the passenger stock was sold off and a plank was nailed down the center of a boxcar to sit on. In 1903 they declared bankruptcy and was resurrected in a slightly more tricky form as the BW & North Western Co.

Presumably there was either an infusion of cash, or at least credit as in 1904 & 06 the only brand new locos were purchased along with new passenger cars.

This brings us to my era, until 1913, when the two older locos were scrapped.

If CN hadn't basically been lumbered with it in 1918 by the Canadian Government the line would probably been put out of it's misery long before 1951.

So, in the "golden days" I'm trying to show this as modernisation, which was why I went away from the ground throws.

Just as a by the by, Brockville then had the most millionaires per capita of any community in Canada. One of the most famous, George Fulford, made his money with patent medicines. Pink Pills for Pale People. For defrauding the public he was given a seat in the Senate. I guess things havn't changed that much in the past century.

Cheers

John
Old 2nd July 2014, 15:19   #59
JohnM

A bit of an update. I've been working in the corner at Lyn. I've done three pours of water for Lyn Falls as well as a small house (Life like, if I remember correctly). If you look at the rear you can see the wife putting the laundry on the line. The 0-4-0 is going to be heavily weathered as this is/will be Lyn Valley Mining Co. Although it doesn't show up in the pics the track has been ripped up and just the ties are left.

This is an AHM Fire Station kit for Brockville.

I've also made the entry flap (or whatever you wish to call it.)

Since this last was taken I've added a hook and eye to hold it erect, and as you can see this now puts the light switch in an awkward position, so I'll have to move it outside the room.

Cheers for now
Old 20th July 2014, 15:28   #60
kaustav

Looking good John! I love the steam engine line-up - very periodic.
kaustav is offline   Reply With Quote