All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > H0/00 - Scale
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 8th May 2012, 13:26   #41
JohnM

Default Re: Brockville & Westport

I got to again and worked on Forfar as well as put a fascia around the peninsula. I also moved the connection for the controller. Being at Westport was no longer practical with the peninsula.

The buildings are Walthers Merchants Row 1 (still in the painting stage), City Classics section house, IHC Luigi's Restaurant, and Model Power Chester Stn. Behing MR will be an alleyway and the back of some houses.

I've been experimenting with an old box of grout for road texture. It's looking quite good, but the colour needs refining. They had a dirt road and in front of MR will be a boardwalk.

Here I've started a small lake just around from Westport. I'm using polyester resin for the water and some stones from my daughters fish tank for the stones in the river.

Cheers
JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 14:55   #42
RW James

Default Re: Brockville & Westport

Looking good - good idea the aquarium gravel.
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2012, 22:30   #43
JohnM

It has been a while. AARGH stupid French keyboard. My daughter got a computer from school and the keyboard is in french. It has been too darn hot to do much upstairs in the garage lately. And so dry the cows are giving off powdered milk.

But There are a couple of pics for you.

The church is my buddy Steves creation. Its an N scale building. The trees are puff balls and weve moved fairly well through Forfar and have laid track up to Athens. Next is crossing the creek prior to Athens which means building some retaining walls. Im thinking carving out from POP.

Sorry about the grammar, but I cant get this to do contractions.

Ive lost all my picture folders in the move from ther old new software but hopefully Qube can fix that.

Cheers
Old 4th August 2012, 00:57   #44
JohnM

Sorry about the size of the pics, but my daughter took the camera to England to visit Grandma and I didnt realise she had changed the settings.

Also I was in Westport the other week and at the Rideau Lakes Museum I came across a complaint to the B & W from a farmer name of J Knowlton, unfortunately undated.

My razorback (pig) strolled down your track
A week ago today.
Your 29 came down the line
and snuffed his life away.
You cant blame me
The hog, you see, slipped
Through your cattle gate.
So, kindly pen a cheque for ten
The debt to liquidate.

The reply

Our 29 (train) came down the line
And killed your hog we know.
But razorbacks on railroad tracks
Must surely meet with woe.
Therefore, my friend, we cannot send the cheque
For which you pine.
So plant the dead, Place oer his head
Here lies a foolish swine.
Old 10th December 2012, 04:05   #45
JohnM

It's not much of an update as I have no pic's yet. The hoops. The camera I bought last year quit right as the warranty expired. Bought my daughter a camera for her birthday (she's lost the charger already), her camcorder doesn't talk to the new computer, so I have resurrected the 35mm. Now, you might think that would solve the problem, yes? Well, it will once I can find a scanner at work.

However, on the railroad work is underway again after taking summer off.. Track is laid to Athens and ballasted, the Delta mill building is built, and Steve and I have reversed direction and have extended the Westport "Y" with the idea of getting operational. I decided that I wasn't happy with the one leg and will be re-laying that soon.

Pic's soon.

Cheers
Old 31st January 2013, 05:35   #46
JohnM

Default We're Back

Well, it's good to be back.

Here's some pics of Forfar.

Now one of Delta Mill. This is a RDA kit Easton mill. I had to put my own loading dock on as I didn't like the one that came with it. This kit comes with two buildings. There is a power house as well. That's currently filling a spot in Forfar but it came with interior detail and no windows. Nor did the instructions bear much resemblance to reality.

The real mill was the most modern building of its kind in Upper Canada when it was first built in 1812. It was fully automated from day one, and was a two man operation. One Lackey, and one Boss to rake in the Coin. By our era the wheel had been replaced by a pair of turbines and the mill was converted to electrical power. There was sufficient to supply all 12 houses in Delta with a light bulb, but if your wanted to pay double you could have two bulbs. The village of Lyn, by comparison, didn't get electricity until 1927. There is a story that the Owner was walking through the village one evening and saw one house brightly lit and knowing they only paid for one light went to see what was going on. He found they had creatively used strategically positioned mirrors, so he charged them as though they had two lights anyway.

Cheers

John
Old 31st January 2013, 20:17   #47
Made in Italy

I'd bet that the owner's name was Ebenezer Scrooge.
Did I get it?
Franco
Made in Italy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2013, 21:06   #48
JohnM

Default Forfar Dairies kitbash

Franco, I think by our era this might have been Ebenezer's grandson, but he certainly took his lessons to heart.

I've been working a lot on Forfar Dairies. The base building is Bachmann lighted freight station Product Code: 46216. The boiler room at the back is a free printable download from somewhere (I forget). The stack is a cardboard tube covered with a download from paperbrick.co.uk. The roof vents are pen tip protectors from chart recorders. Then I added Tichy Trains milk station, which has a scratched platform and ramp behind to get the product down. I also made a sawbuck and two man saw and the pile of wood is all sorts of scrap pieces of twig, shavings, xmas tree (previously enjoyed). The cupola is actually a cock-up from Delta mill. It came with two different gable ends and I used the wrong pitch.

Cheers

John
Old 7th October 2013, 17:48   #49
JohnM

Well, I hadn't realised it's been soo long. Now summer's over (finally, we can get back to hockey) and the Brockville module is now mounted on the wall and the track is starting to get laid. I just need to pick up 2 more right hand turnouts, I thought I had all I need but I was wrong.

This section is going to require quite a few scratched buildings, station, factory which is now Brockville Yacht club. But before it gets cold I need to get into the roof space for the wye extension.

Hopefully I'll get some pics in a day or two.

Cheers
Old 3rd February 2014, 17:48   #50
kaustav

The layout is looking very nice indeed... any more recent pics?
kaustav is offline   Reply With Quote