All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Design and Plan your layout -- (Track Plans)
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 28th February 2010, 04:56   #21
RW James

Default Re: Museum Layout Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBlack View Post
Oh ok, I thought you were doing a big layout.
Well, I don't know how much room you have - but I think a layout 35 feet long is fairly big! Really, it's just over one half mile in HO scale. That's the way it is out here in the western US - miles and miles of nothing but straight track. This was the most interesting section that could support trains from any era in the last 100 years.
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 20:47   #22
Made in Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW James View Post
Here is version 1 of the layout plan
That's what I meant!
Made in Italy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 02:59   #23
LoudMusic

Could you provide a diagram of the layout in the room? The museum layout a group of guys in my home town built is viewable from three sides. The total layout is a horseshoe shaped loop with a center backdrop separating visitor space from operator space. I believe their staging yard is somewhat bent around the inside of the horseshoe. The visitor's viewing area of the layout is not particularly deep, perhaps 2 to 3 feet, which gives them more room in the operators space but still plenty of room to model scenery for the viewer.

I've been digging around on the internet but can't find more than this pitiful reference to the layout.

http://www.faulknercountymuseum.org/Exhibits%20Page.htm

I'll see if I can track down any of the guys that worked on it and hopefully they have pictures. There might even be a track plan floating around.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 05:48   #24
RW James

This layout will only be visible from one side - the bottom side on the plan. The track height will be 42 inches with the bottom of the window at 40 inches. The window will be 54 inches above that - the cliffs in the front are tall enough to go the top of the window.

We just had a planning meeting tonight and I will be re-aligning some track. I asked about the 30 inch radius in the back and mentioned that there was some concern here about it. We think we might build a test track and run some equipment over it - particularly the inter-modal cars.

I'll try to get the realignment done in the next couple of days and share that here.
Old 23rd March 2010, 23:32   #25
RW James

After a few more meetings, and some tweaking on the track plan to make it conform better to USGS maps and railroad surveys, we have the track portion pretty well settled.

Then we began working on accessibility for maintenance. We began finding areas that would be pretty much impossible to reach, so we began modifying the structure design. One of the biggest changes was adding a diagonal window on the lower left corner. This not only made the track closer to the edge, but it will enable viewers to look down the length of the canyon and get a different view.

Here is the plan as of now:

The parts list now includes 34 #8 Shinohara switches and 4 #10 Shinohara switches as well as around 420 feet of code 83 flex track. Fortunately the museum gift shop is a licensed Walthers dealer And we already own the 120' turntable.

You may wonder why the turntable is hidden from view. Well, there wasn't a turntable anywhere near this point, but it was still needed because the museum wants all the equipment to go through a minimum of handling. So all engines will be turned and stored here without anyone having to touch them.

I've also added extra storage in the back for some coupled engine units and cabooses (or cabeese )

Construction on the layout will begin in July. First the structure needs to be built (along with a host of other changes in the museum which includes the demolition of the current layout).

I will be taking many photos and posting them here as work progresses.

I'm still soliciting suggestions. I have brought all your ideas to the table each week and they have all been seriously considered.
Old 23rd March 2010, 23:53   #26
GWRman

Way to go Rick, I look forward to seeing this project get underway.

Doug.
GWRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 06:05   #27
JackBlack

Nice job there Rick, that track plan looks way better. Can't wait for more progress. Would you be able to put progress pics up?? That would be really good.
JackBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 06:10   #28
RW James

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBlack View Post
Nice job there Rick, that track plan looks way better. Can't wait for more progress. Would you be able to put progress pics up?? That would be really good.
I definitely will - but it won't be until summer. I'll try to get some pictures of the equipment we will be running.
Old 24th March 2010, 21:09   #29
gl.summers

Rick, what a great opportunity you are having. What an awesome way to promote the hobby. I am part of the National Railroad Historical Society here in Dothan, AL and we are building a layout in the Cultural Arts Center. We are trying to reproduce the Dixie area where all the trains came into Dothan. It is amazing that we have opportunities to promote the greatest hobby in the world. Larry
gl.summers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2010, 01:37   #30
mysterd429

That really is a great gig! I look forward to seeing where this goes!
mysterd429 is offline   Reply With Quote