All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Design and Plan your layout -- (Track Plans)
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 25th February 2010, 07:21   #11
Sir Madog

Default Re: Museum Layout Design

Why havenīt I thought of this before?

All you need are two traverser tables, not longer than your longest loco. One at the beginning of your staging yard, one at the end. Saves an awful lot of space and also costs!
Sir Madog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 15:42   #12
RW James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Madog View Post
Why havenīt I thought of this before?

All you need are two traverser tables, not longer than your longest loco. One at the beginning of your staging yard, one at the end. Saves an awful lot of space and also costs!
I guess this would be good if you had a lot of engines and only one or two strings of cars.

For this project, we will have many unit trains, that is engines and cars permanently coupled together that will move out as a unit. There will gbe no need to change out cars or engines - just entire trains.
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 20:28   #13
Made in Italy

Well, if I understood the visible part will have two indipendent lines, if so I think the easiest way would be a two-level hidden siding with (just to figure) five tracks for each direction of travel so to have eastbound/westbound trains for each line.
I wouldn't consider a very long traverser because, even if well planned and better built, would be complicate to operate.
Franco
Made in Italy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2010, 01:38   #14
RW James

Here is version 1 of the layout plan

The blue track is Western Pacific, the orange is Southern Pacific. The green track is a transfer track so trains can moved from one line to the other. (The pink track is 30 inch radius which I specified below minimum radius of 48 inches to keep the mainline easements acceptable.)

The innermost tracks would be used for pass through traffic, with four outer tracks for train storage. The Southern Pacific track in the front also has a passing siding and one small storage track.

The viewing is from the bottom with tunnels and mountains providing view blocks towards the back. (The tan areas are mountains, the blue is the Humboldt River. Palisades, Nevada would be just off to the upper left. The track in the mountains are tunneled - at this scale dashed lines didn't show up, so I temporarily changed them to solid.)

EDIT: I just noticed I'm seeing an older version of the layout. I think it's probably from my image cache, and I don't know how to clear it (anybody?). If you see the Southern Pacific track in the upper left corner, then you're good. For me, it's faded away. Okay - never mind - I just hit the refresh button and everything corrected itself.
Old 27th February 2010, 12:46   #15
JackBlack

Nice design there Rick. Why is there only two tracks at the front??
JackBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2010, 14:28   #16
RW James

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBlack View Post
Nice design there Rick. Why is there only two tracks at the front??
Because that's all there is. We are trying to model as closely as we can what is actually at that point between those two tunnels, and there are only two tracks.
Old 27th February 2010, 19:54   #17
Roy Buchanan

I like it for the intended purpose.
Roy Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2010, 21:28   #18
GWRman

Looks OK to me Rick but I am a little concerned about those 30"" radius curves. They seem a bit tight to me????

Doug.
GWRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2010, 22:28   #19
RW James

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWRman View Post
Looks OK to me Rick but I am a little concerned about those 30"" radius curves. They seem a bit tight to me????

Doug.
Do you think so? I'm not used to large equipment - but the decision for 30 inches was decided before I became involved. I will ask them to verify this - perhaps we should try a test track with the largest equipment.

Keep in mind, the 30 inch radius is not on any visible track. All visible track has a minimum 48 inches.
Old 28th February 2010, 04:40   #20
JackBlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW James View Post
Because that's all there is. We are trying to model as closely as we can what is actually at that point between those two tunnels, and there are only two tracks.
Oh ok, I thought you were doing a big layout.
JackBlack is offline   Reply With Quote