All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Scratchbuilding & Kitbashing
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 18th August 2011, 17:15   #1
WoundedBear

Default A Rotary Plow for the LS&D

Here's a project I'm sure a few of you have done for your own layouts. I picked up the rotary plow parts at a swap meet a few years ago, and then got hold of a couple of the 3 in 1 MOW kits from Roundhouse.

The roof was cut out to insert the cupola, and that cut out was then used out back to create the "shelter" for the walkway out back to the tender. The tender is another ancient Roundhouse kit that my LHS turned up for me. The large round hole in the roof is for the vertical boiler to poke through.

The ends of the car body were files smooth and the plow housing was attached at the proper height. Careful measuring at this stage is critical. I chose the die cast trucks with brass wheels from the tender kit for the plow and used the plastic trucks from the MOW kit for the tender's die-cast chassis. Being a novice to model railroading, I try to eliminate possible short circuits wherever I can.

I removed and filled the light mounting hole on the rear of the tender, and used the light housing on the roof of the cupola. At this point I suppose I could have opted to make the light operational, but in all honesty, I like the "old school" look of the crystal that Roundhouse supplied as a lens in their kits.

The flanger under the plow was scratch-built, and bolt heads were simulated by poking the styrene with the back end of a .020 inch drill bit in a pin vise. Access doors and hinges were scratch built for the plow and a spare door and small round window were mounted to the rear of the plow body. All the glass in the model is made from Microscale's Kristal-Kleer. Basically white glue.....you form a "bubble" across the window opening and allow to dry. I install my windows after all the painting is done.

After a final mock-up, the model is dismantled and painted. The one thing that needs a redo is to repaint the trucks.......the colors don't quite match. Maybe just some more light weathering on the darker ones will help make them look more similar.

Enjoy!

Sid
WoundedBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 18:26   #2
RW James

Default Re: A Rotary Plow for the LS&D

Very nice job! Now all you need is a heavy snowfall.
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 16:03   #3
WoundedBear

Default Re: A Rotary Plow for the LS&D

Rick......Thanks for the comment. I found this to be a rather enjoyable build. I wasn't trying to follow any prototype, just trying to build a plausible model. The LS&D is set in very early 1900's, so an oil burning rotary could have been possible. If I would have turned up a coal tender, then she would have burnt coal or wood.

Sid
WoundedBear is offline   Reply With Quote