All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Design and Plan your layout -- (Track Plans)
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 28th February 2011, 21:50   #1
paulh_boats

Thumbs up Back to 1966 - blow the dust off and start again

Back in 1966, aged 7, I was thrilled by the model railway my late father built.

Many a happy Sunday afternoon was spent in the middle of the hinged O shaped layout (we could pop up in the middle surrounded by the track). My favourite was a Triang dockyard shunter, originally red but painted green to match the DMU green.

Inspired by James May to happily play with old toys and shrug off all that serious grumpy old man stuff I dug around to find the old kit which I have probably not seen for 40 years.

I thought we had 3 engines but to my joy we had 4 engines: 2 steam, a shunter and a DMU. Five carriages and plenty of rolling stock, a water tower, footbridge, small buildings and a collection of manual and solenoid points, some working, some not. Miraculously everything has shrunk by 50% and the scale detail is lost without reading glasses (it seemed to be much easier to see 45 years ago )

Bits of straight track are left, but the curves have gone so I picked up 35 curved pieces on ebay. The controller has gone along with push button switches for the points, but I still have a few Formoway manual point levers.

So the question is how to do justice to the old kit? There are two layout options:
1) a fold down track in the warm and cosy hobby room, about 1.5m x 1.2m
2) Plan A

Plan A: When Dad designed his wooden shed, which I have in my garden now, it was 6ft by 9ft...the extra foot was for a tunnel behind the work bench and the track would go around the walls with a flap by the door, hinged up when not in use.
The shed is now expanded to 9ft by 9ft and taken over by my boat building hobby...however its not impossible to blend in Plan A with perspex tunnels to protect the track from heavy tools, drill presses, welders etc.

A DCC would be amazing - 2 trains at different speeds? beyond our wildest dreams in 1966.

All comments are welcome, including the funny ones!

cheers
Paul
paulh_boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 05:46   #2
BR60103

Default Re: Back to 1966 - blow the dust off and start again

Paul:
Welcome back to trains.
I trust that some of the boat bits can be recycled to serve as baseboard supports or the underpinnings for scenery.
You'll need to use the old Tri-ang/Hornby track to run the old stock. Anything up to Series 6 should do; the newer stuff might work. Older track often comes up for sale but check it for mis-shapen bits.

You're at the right point to go DCC. You'll want to check out heavier decoders to run the old motors. The old motors should be easy to convert if you're willing to be a bit uconventional -- just remember that the input to and output from the DCC chip have to be totally isolated.
BR60103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2011, 12:52   #3
paulh_boats

David,

Thanks and apologies for the late reply as I had just joined the forum and had not turned on email notification.

The two Jinty 3F locos are probably best left on the shelf; I remember we had problems with them 45 years ago...here is their exact chassis:
http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/OONew/chassisNew.htm

I cleaned the commutators and in 30 minutes of trial and error cleaned the corrosion/dirt that had stopped all electrical connection.

The Dockyard Shunter and DMU run much better and at a lower voltage (as they always did) - they needed similar coaxing back to life.

The problem now is space. I loved the "pop-up in the centre" layout Dad built but that means 4 panels that bolt together/disassemble as wifey won't like me having exclusive access to the hobby room!

I've already used up Karma points finishing my 9ft boat trailer indoors....

Plywood is definitely the way to go for a baseboard - the hull of my seaworthy 14ft pocket cruiser is 6mm ply and I don't know why people go for 12mm base boards which will be seriously heavy. Ribs underneath will turn 6mm ply into a strong T or I beam. Better still it can be bent which makes it even stronger and could provide an interesting landscape.

cheers
Paul
Old 7th March 2011, 03:47   #4
BR60103

The jinty chassis is pretty sturdy; the worst problem we had was that my best friend managed to run his until the wheel treads had a groove.
To DCC this loco: Put another insulating sleeve on the brush spring that doesn't have one. Cut the wire on the side that's insulated now (from the brass pickup). Delete the suppressor and it's wiring. Wire the track end of the DCC chip to the pickup and the screw on the chassis. Wire the other 2 wires to the brushes -- it would be nice if you could find and extra one of those brass tags that go behind the brush. Then hope that the chip fits inside when the body goes back on!
This one definitely needs old TriAng track.
BR60103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 13:58   #5
paulh_boats

David,

Thanks and all understood about the DCC conversion. The Jinty is fine on new and old track but derails easily on small radius curves that have a gap across the fish plates (but all other engines and stock are ok).

If I make all the track joins flush without gaps it might be ok, otherwise she gets demoted to siding work! Also I'm thinking of a 5x7 layout with a center cutout so the curves can have a larger radius.

cheers
Paul