All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Design and Plan your layout -- (Track Plans)
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 31st December 2010, 01:47   #1
fodenscania2

Default help needed with layout plan

the layout is oo scale. the board size is 4ft x 4ft to fit under the bed. please may you come up with a good plan to match the criteria i would like.
2 nd radius curves to run my model lms duchess
continuous running
any comments are welcomed.
thank you
fodenscania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 02:03   #2
Selector

Default Re: help needed with layout plan

I don't understand your terminology, but if your scale is anything like HO, and your British rolling stock essentially similarly engineered as non-brass quality popular engines and cars, then you are limited to an oval and perhaps a small switch-back in the space you specify.

Put in other terms, you may be in the wrong scale, but perhaps I'll learn something as others who know what you mean respond. I think you should be in half of the 00 gauge/scale.

Crandell
Selector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 02:26   #3
B-17_Fortress

4ft by 4ft in OO is VERY limiting on what you could achieve; little more than a circle or slight oval. If your bed is a standard single, it is probably about 6ft 6in long, so if you could lengthen the board to say 6ft x 4ft, it would increase the potential of what you can do, although it would still be fairly limited by the board size.

You either need to increase the board size or change to N scale.
B-17_Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 11:35   #4
fodenscania2

Thanks very much for your speedy replies. I would rather not change scale in view of the amount of stock i have. Could you cut the board in half and have two 4ft x 6inch boards connecting them? also i need to allow for a early birthday presant. Bachmann gs4.
thank you
Old 31st December 2010, 12:59   #5
B-17_Fortress

Yes, you could do that to make a bigger layout. You'd just need to be careful joining the boards/track each time it was assembled. If it was enlarged like this, you could have a small yard on one of the wide sections and a station on the other.

Something that my dad did for me many years ago, was to mount the layout on the wall, hinged at one side, so it would fold up against the wall when not in use. There was a box on the wall as deep as the tallest building ( about 1 foot ), and when the layout hinged down from the wall, there were two legs that hung from the side opposite the hinge to support that side.
Old 31st December 2010, 13:52   #6
fodenscania2

thank you the yard and station layout sounds good. what length train do you think i should use?
how many platforms in the station
Old 31st December 2010, 14:01   #7
B-17_Fortress

For the size of the layout, you are looking at a branch line, so I wouldn't expect more than two or three coaches, so the platform length would be to suit that. I only model N scale, so not sure of the actual sized of OO coaches. It's been over 30 years since I worked in OO.
Old 31st December 2010, 14:09   #8
fodenscania2

i have ho and oo stock. the daylight cars are the same length as a standard lms coach
Old 31st December 2010, 15:26   #9
EdUSA

Check out information on the late John Allen's "Gorre and Daphetid" first plan. HO was 4 x 7 feet, though. Kalmbach's "101 Track Plans" book can give you an idea as to what you can squeeze into what space in whichever guage you are working. Good Luck!
EdUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 16:57   #10
RW James

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdUSA View Post
Check out information on the late John Allen's "Gorre and Daphetid" first plan. HO was 4 x 7 feet, though. Kalmbach's "101 Track Plans" book can give you an idea as to what you can squeeze into what space in whichever gauge you are working. Good Luck!
Actually I think it was 4x6. Here is a bad scan of John Allen's drawing:
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote