All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > N / Z- Scale
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 8th August 2011, 10:36   #101
kaustav

Default Scenery at last: Tunnel

I couldn't resist any more... Yes, I thought of touching scenery after being done with the work on the port - the port wall, concrete streets etc. But this weekend, I kind of g 'driven' towards the tunnel.

First, the tunnel portals. I used styrene stone texture sheets with plain, white, 1mm X 3mm styrene braces for the entrance.

Oh! by this time I also took the liberty of doing some ballasting. :P

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATSF2036714.jpg (107.0 KB, 66 views)
kaustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 10:37   #102
kaustav

Default Re: Scenery at last: Tunnel

Coming back to the tunnel, I then added the retaining walls...

Old 8th August 2011, 10:39   #103
kaustav

Then the paper mache and the road... This road is going to lead to the Lighthouse. It's a thin service road to handle small and medium vehicles, with very tight clearance for vehicles going in opposite directions. Honestly, I personally would never likely drive, or even ride a car on that piece of @#$*&!

Old 8th August 2011, 10:39   #104
kaustav

To make things more 'dramatic' there is the spare span of plate girder bridge I saved from the ME Trestle kit. And those black 'n' red wires are to put a couple of ratty street lamps- oh yeah! I have civic sense... :P

And here is a small dedication to my tree loving wifey! 'Temporary' tree installations (that have since been removed)

Couple of things if you are wondering about them: 1. the derailed tank cars were noticed after the photos were taken and I REALLY didn't have the patience to go back, put them 'back on track' and take the snap again - Oh! common... 2. the Mache is still wet in the pictures - they are supposed to dry up and become rock solid. So far the transformation looks good, and they kind of look like 'white' volcanic rocks - isn't that precious? :P
Old 8th August 2011, 10:42   #105
kaustav

Default Scenery: Background Hill

I continued with scenery for this weekend as well. First I finished the road and made the thermocol/foam base for the hill. I also installed all the street lamps before I put more paper mache in the hill. The testing of the lamps:

Then the paper mache... still wet as you can understand from the photos.

Old 8th August 2011, 10:45   #106
kaustav

Default Re: Scenery: Background Hill

Now, after I finished the hill and went for testing the lights, I discovered that there is something wrong in the connection! Isn't it precious the way defects are discovered AFTER the installation is complete, despite of all the testing and everything that you do!

Anyway, I had to spend another couple of hours to adjust the phases. I also discovered for Model Power lights, it's better to keep just three lamps in one phase, more than that, It doesn't work properly irrespective of the capacity of the power sources.

Also, I brought down the voltage to 6V DC than the prescribed 14V AC. At 14V AC just these 9 lights were enough to light up the whole port! Which is very unrealistic. In reality, street lamps are to light just the streets and diffuse significantly over small distances. 6V serves the purpose perfectly.

Well, I also spent some time making the railings on that tiny bridge...

Next step: rock formations, shades and N scale vehicles with operating headlights!
Old 9th August 2011, 23:03   #107
GWRman

Who's been a busy boy then ? It all looks very good and is coming together nicely. I think the overall effect of the lights looks good but it is hard to tell in a picture, I think you have to see it in the flesh to get the real effect. Well done that man.

Doug.
GWRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 02:48   #108
JohnM

That's looking really good, Kaustav. I like the way the retaining walls have come out. You've come a long way since "Sirius".
JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 18:11   #109
kaustav

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWRman View Post
Who's been a busy boy then ? It all looks very good and is coming together nicely. I think the overall effect of the lights looks good but it is hard to tell in a picture, I think you have to see it in the flesh to get the real effect. Well done that man.

Doug.
Thanks Doug... there is a little bit of relaxation in work pressure for last few days, moreover I will be shifting to a new apartment in a week's time - so trying to squeeze as much of modeling time as possible now.

You're right about the lights... even if you take one of the best quality photographs, the effect of lights in a model railroad is best enjoyed live...
Old 10th August 2011, 18:44   #110
kaustav

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
That's looking really good, Kaustav. I like the way the retaining walls have come out. You've come a long way since "Sirius".
Hey, thanks John, after a long time!
Its been 3 years since we started with Sirius - i myself can't believe it at times. and Honestly, i really want to finish with this project as soon as possible.
Good to see you around, would really want to know if you have some suggestions on the nitty gritty of ports and ships! I would really need expert guidance!