All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Scenery
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 13th July 2010, 23:44   #1
eTraxx

Default Ancient Asphalt

Had a guy on another forum ask how to model "decaying asphalt" .. his diorama being a " .. post-apocalyptic Mad Max sort of setting .."

Anyhoo. I was curious and experimented a bit. Poured a thin layer of plaster mix (2 parts plaster and 1 part Spectra Lock Sanded Grout (powder)). When it set I glued some wedding veil to the back with yellow glue. That way I could flex and crack it but it would stay attached (more or less). Colored with AI wash. White glue/water to lock in place. Painted gray acrylic, black acrylic wash, sprinkled brown dry tempera paint and scrubbed that into the cracks with a brush and tap water. Sprayed with matt. The car is a 1:48 Matchbox 1912 Simplex straight out of the box. Not too bad for the first experiment .. worth exploring I think.

eTraxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 01:44   #2
TCWORLD
Mod Squad

Default Re: Ancient Asphalt

Its a great effect, though it reminds me more of rock that has an high iron content in a wet environment - where rust is leaching from them. Pretty cool though.
TCWORLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 01:48   #3
eTraxx

Yeah. Well .. this wasn't really a 'how to do it' .. as much as a .. 'how I did it'. It's a kind of .. what next? I think that I will try this again but use just plaster .. or perhaps just a thin layer of 'texture'. I would like to be able to flex the plaster .. crack it all to 'heck' .. but have it bind to the flexible material.
Old 14th July 2010, 07:11   #4
RW James

I've used that wedding veil material with a lot of my plaster castings - but I work it into the plaster while it's still wet. Kind of the same idea as re-bar.
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 22:28   #5
eTraxx

A bit of a Redux ...

Tried something different .....

1 - Poured a thin layer of plaster .. no coloring.
2 - When set laid a single layer of gauze
3 - Poured another thin layer of plaster
4 - let that set up and dry
5 - put the 'road' on a sponge and pressed all over to crack it
6 - Used Air Eraser to texture and erode the cracks
7 - Sprayed AI on both sides .. let dry
8 - Still had white in the cracks so used AppleBarrel Black Acrylic as a wash all over and down into the cracks. Let dry.
9 - Dry brushed FolkArt Steel Gray Acrylic

10 - on left third of road I brushed on Brown pastel powder (scraped from stick) then 'mopped' over with tap water

11 - center third left as was in step 9

12 - right third of road I brushed on Black pastel powder (again, scraped from stick) and 'mopped' over with tap water

.. and .. yes it's flexible .. no kidding!

Edit: I add a topic on this here
Old 14th July 2010, 22:57   #6
GWRman

Looks like what we here in the UK call crazy paving, layed on drives/car ports.

Doug.
GWRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 23:05   #7
RW James

That looks really good!

Well done
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 23:19   #8
eTraxx

Thanks Rick. Couple additional thoughts ..

1. You don't have to crack the road up like I did. That was just to test the method. It pulled up 'crackless' .. ha.

2. I used an Air Eraser to texture the surface. I did that across the road surface and to erode the cracks. I'm thinking .. if I put down a layer of sandpaper .. and poured the plaster over that you would have instant texture!!

3. This is pretty easy and you can see how flexible it is. Seems to me .. that you could pour your roads (simple forms of stripwood, clay etc.) .. distress them as much or little as you wish .. paint, stain etc. all on the workbench. Then, simply pick up the strip and glue wherever you wish. Note that as flexible as it is, it will conform to the layout contours.

#3 means .. you could 'detail' your road on the work bench .. spin it as needed .. do all sorts of 'hooah' things .. then place it wherever. Seems to me that would beat the heck out of trying to create a road at arms length on the layout.
Old 15th July 2010, 08:49   #9
JackBlack

Wow! That is flexible!!
JackBlack is offline   Reply With Quote