All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Scenery
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 7th July 2010, 03:02   #21
Santa Fe SDA

Default Re: Walking Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by randythawkins View Post
You could do what B-17_Fortress mentions and I believe it would be ok. I have not used that method...I am sure it would turn out nice but my only concern would be if you had seams you had to hide where 2 pieces of paper would join together. With the shingles I was able to hide it with putty but with the paper that might be a little difficult...I guess it all depends upon how long of a path you plan on having. As to the width...well, just figure out how wide it would be in our world - 4'? 6'? - and, using a scale ruler, measure that off on to the path material.

Send pics when you get it done. I'd love to see how you completed that project.

Randy
Thank you Randy. I'll be sure to post the pictures when the path is in place.

Have you seen the thread about my foot bridge?
Santa Fe SDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 03:17   #22
Santa Fe SDA

Default Creating a Walking Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-17_Fortress View Post
I would use 1000 grit wet & dry paper, sprayed with a speckle of greys and black for that. At N scale, you wouldn't really see much of a texture, hence the very fine grit paper, but the speckle to break up the even colour. It's a technique I used a great deal in Architectural model making for roads, pavements, stone and brick work.
Thank you for your suggestions B-17_Fortress. Tell me more about the "sprayed with a speckle of grays and black" step. Would I have to go out a buy an airbrush for that, because I don't have one now. Like many of my colleagues on this site, I don't want to spend a lot of money buying something I'll use once or twice. That's why I don't want to go out and buy a can of spray paint either. I bought a gallon of paint for the base (That's about four liters for my European colleagues.) and only used about 20% of it.

Wanna buy a slightly used can of portobello colored paint?
Old 7th July 2010, 12:51   #23
randythawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Fe SDA View Post
Thank you Randy. I'll be sure to post the pictures when the path is in place.

Have you see the thread about my foot bridge?
No I have not. Please provide a link.
randythawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 04:33   #24
Santa Fe SDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by randythawkins View Post
No I have not. Please provide a link.
Your wish is my command: http://www.all-model-railroading.co....ad.php?t=11191 - Post #5
Old 12th July 2010, 12:47   #25
randythawkins

Quote:
Very good. Would be interested to see how/what you scenic around it..

Randy
randythawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 22:41   #26
B-17_Fortress

Default Re: Creating a Walking Path

Quote:
Thank you for your suggestions B-17_Fortress. Tell me more about the "sprayed with a speckle of grays and black" step. Would I have to go out a buy an airbrush for that......
If you don't have an airbrush, you could try experimenting with an old stiff toothbrush, and use the bristles to flick a fine spray of paint onto the surface. You may need to experiment a bit, but worth a go.

Airbrushes are very useful tools however, and once you've got one, you'll wonder how you managed before!
B-17_Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2010, 18:07   #27
Santa Fe SDA

Default How Wide the N-Scale Road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCWORLD View Post
Has anyone got any tips on painting road markings on an N-Gauge road.
Thanks.
I'm planning on putting a road on my layout, but before I could even paint lines in it, I had to figure out how wide the road should be in N-scale. It just so happened that a house I'd bought has a car parked in front of it. The car is exactly half an inch wide. Since I want a two-lane side street, I first thought it should be one inch wide. Then I remembered that when two cars pass each other in opposite directions, there's room for that, plus room for cars to park on each side, so I finally decided that 2.5 inches should be about right. That would be just enough room for five cars to squeeze in side-by-side.
Now because of my good looks I'm able to skate by with rather poor math skills. Does anyone see a problem with my calculations?
Old 25th July 2010, 23:56   #28
RW James

Default Re: Painting Lines on Roads

Lane width is dependant on the amount of traffic and the speed the cars will travel (that is if you are building a new road - old roads are the size they are).

A simple little two lane street in a residential area would be about 12 feet wide. A country lane might be 8 feet wide. Parking would probably be about 8 feet. So a two lane street with parking might be about 40 feet (plus or minus) which in N scale should be about 3 inches. But you could probably get away with 2.5 inches if you put in some 25 mph speed limit signs.
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 02:18   #29
Santa Fe SDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW James View Post
Lane width is dependant on the amount of traffic and the speed the cars will travel (that is if you are building a new road - old roads are the size they are).

A simple little two lane street in a residential area would be about 12 feet wide. A country lane might be 8 feet wide. Parking would probably be about 8 feet. So a two lane street with parking might be about 40 feet (plus or minus) which in N scale should be about 3 inches. But you could probably get away with 2.5 inches if you put in some 25 mph speed limit signs.
That sounds great, RW. I actually found a couple of shingles lying around and tried to cut it into 2.5 inch wide strips, but they didn't quite line up. Some sections are slightly wider that others. The good news is that I'm only planning on a road on one narrow end of my layout, so one shingle is enough, provided I can cut it evenly.
You see, I have a rectangular layout and it's going to be bordered by streets, but only one of them will be visible. The rest will be just beyond the edges. I think the near end will show a residential street and the sides will have restaurants and gas stations and such. The problem I'm foreseeing is that at n-scale, I'm going to need a lot of buildings to border my layout, which is about six feet (2 meters) long. Does anybody know of any "cheater" ways if filling up edge space on a layout representing a suburban landscape with a park in the middle without shelling out the cash for fifty buildings?
That seems to be a running theme of my posts: "How do I do this cheap?"

Thanks.
Old 26th July 2010, 02:39   #30
RW James

A lot of nice parks are bordered by forests. Trees can be a lot of work but they are certainly cheaper than buildiongs.
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote