All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Scenery
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 1st March 2008, 23:47   #11
TCWORLD
Mod Squad

Talking Re: Painting Lines on Roads

well although i couldn't use the gel pens on one section as the base was plaster with chalk colouring (which i simply uses thin strips of paper and some paint to line), i have found them very useful for the markings around the complex - (Thanks Ari for the sugestion)

TCWORLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2008, 22:04   #12
tinlizzy56

Default Re: Painting Lines on Roads

Hi there love the layout I know how hard it is modeling in H.O. scale but doing it in N scale would be even harder.
I think your doing a good job and it look so cool.
If you have a printer here is a link to a site in England where you can purchase kits to print out on card stock.
I have used them and they look cool.
http://www.scalescenes.com/products/...-and-Pavements
but keep up the good work and all the best and by for now
tinlizzy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2008, 00:49   #13
TCWORLD
Mod Squad

Those are some very cool looking kits for sure, thanks.
TCWORLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2008, 08:15   #14
frank47

Looks like a useful site have downloaded the free one to see what its like.
frank47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2008, 12:25   #15
B-17_Fortress

Whenever I'm doing fine lines, I use the reverse masking technique. See how I do my control panels in my n scale threads.

The line colour is painted on the road wider than actually needed. After it is dry, a strip of masking tape, the width of the line required, is stuck down over the stripe colour. The road colour is then painted. When the road colour is at the 'green' stage before being fully dry, the masking tape is pulled off, leaving a fine tidy line on your road.

Steve
B-17_Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2008, 12:29   #16
B-17_Fortress

All the deck markings on this 1:200 scale Assault ship were done using reverse masking.

Steve
Old 16th March 2008, 12:53   #17
mikelhh

A clever approach, Steve. I never would have thought of that.

Mike
mikelhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 05:37   #18
Santa Fe SDA

Default Walking Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by randythawkins View Post
Here's what I did...I used roofing shingles for the roads so I was able to make my roads at the bench and then place on my layout. After paint the road a basic gray color, I took regular masking tape and outlined the place on the road where I wanted the stripes - about 1/16 inch apart. My road surface was rough so the tape didn't adhere perfectly but that was ok. I then covered the rest of the road and surround bench area with rags and such, leaving only the desired stripe areas showing. Using a yellow spray paint can I sprayed into the air above the road about 16 inches up. This would allow the spray to fall, at its own pace, onto the surface. Don't spray directly at the road - you will get too much paint and it will run under the tape. Do light passes, adding a little more each time. It does not take much and I discovered that when I thought I needed more, after removing the tape it turned out that I didn't.

Hope that helps,
Randy
Hi Randy.

Those are some beautiful roads. I applaud your skill and dedication. I was wondering if you had some ideas on how to make an asphalt walking path. How wide would it have to be for N scale? Could I use roofing shingles for that?
Here are some pictures to give you an idea of the look I'm going for.

Santa Fe SDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2010, 09:22   #19
B-17_Fortress

I would use 1000 grit wet & dry paper, sprayed with a speckle of greys and black for that. At N scale, you wouldn't really see much of a texture, hence the very fine grit paper, but the speckle to break up the even colour. It's a technique I used a great deal in Architectural model making for roads, pavements, stone and brick work.
Old 1st July 2010, 13:15   #20
randythawkins

Default Re: Walking Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Fe SDA View Post
Hi Randy.

Those are some beautiful roads. I applaud your skill and dedication. I was wondering if you had some ideas on how to make an asphalt walking path. How wide would it have to be for N scale? Could I use roofing shingles for that?
Here are some pictures to give you an idea of the look I'm going for.

You could do what B-17_Fortress mentions and I believe it would be ok. I have not used that method...I am sure it would turn out nice but my only concern would be if you had seams you had to hide where 2 pieces of paper would join together. With the shingles I was able to hide it with putty but with the paper that might be a little difficult...I guess it all depends upon how long of a path you plan on having. As to the width...well, just figure out how wide it would be in our world - 4'? 6'? - and, using a scale ruler, measure that off on to the path material.

Send pics when you get it done. I'd love to see how you completed that project.

Randy
randythawkins is offline   Reply With Quote