All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Scenery
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd October 2010, 15:26   #1
Polarbear

Default Scrounging for materials

Scrounging for materials can be fun. Personally I enjoy the task. Fortunately I live in an area where materials can be found easily. Some of the resources I have come across are as follows.

Plants such as meadow sweet, alders and mosses are readily available. A local business here makes wooden doors and they have wooden slats approximately 8 feet long, two inches wide with various thickness'. Some electronic components have very small transformers with very small copper wires. The local dump can be a good resource also. For example one day I found a copper water tank from an old wood fired cook stove. The list goes on.

When I had a layout up and running I took pride in trying to avoid using anything plastic. Every thing was pretty much scratch built. The Walthers book had pictures of buildings etc. It also had measurements of the building over all size. By using an HO scale ruler building a reasonable replica was fairly easy to achieve.

I have attached a couple photos of some of the work done. Unfortunately space has come into a factor and am no longer able to continue. In order to stay busy in the modeling world I have temporarily switched over to plastics. Planes. I live in the town where the test pilot of the Avro Arrow lived. In fact my work area is the actual desk that he had at the Avro factory in Downsview Ontario. How fitting to build a model of the Arrow and other planes on the desk that belonged to the test pilot.

Cheers
Daniel
plasticmodelsplus.ca
Polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 16:12   #2
RW James

Default Re: Scrounging for materials

Nice photos - thanks for sharing.

I don't know where you live, but here, it's illegal to take anything from the dump (not sure why).

And by the way - welcome to AMR
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 16:21   #3
Polarbear

Quote:
I don't know where you live, but here, it's illegal to take anything from the dump (not sure why).

Thank You Rick. I live in a little town called Barrys Bay Ontario Canada. We rent a small house on 100 acres of land with approximately 5,000 acres of govt land surrounding it. All forrest.

Probably the reason for not being allowed to removed items from the dump is because in the scrap metal industry people scrounging takes money out of their pockets. I used to frequent the dump daily and remove any copper, brass and aluminum that I could get my hands on.

A question to the admins here. Am I permitted to put a link to my site in my signature. Sometimes it is easier to post a link with info. Not to attract people to my site but saves a lot of work typing. Thanks you

Cheers
Daniel
Old 23rd October 2010, 17:58   #4
LoudMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW James View Post
Nice photos - thanks for sharing.

Typically they don't want the liability of a bunch of people roaming through the dump hurting themselves.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2010, 18:05   #5
Polarbear

I was looking at the competition photo's and said "what an amateur I am". Thing is I am not into modeling to make it look real. I am in it to make a reasonable likeness. I appreciate and respect the work most of your members do. It is amazing. The same goes in plastic models like aircraft. Some finished kits are hard to tell if it is real or a model. Isn't modeling fun.