All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > H0/00 - Scale
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 11th March 2009, 03:19   #1
Trucklover

Default Athearn's SD50/60 Handrails are a pain....

but they look pretty good in my opinion when painted and assembled on the models

Here are 2 of my CSX locos that i spend the whole day assembling and painting the handrails on lol

CSX #8706 SD60 known as the "Stealth" Scheme. CSX did a ton of different paint schemes back in the mid to late 80's. This was one of them. They didnt last long tho, and most had been repainted by the early 90's. So in a way, you could call this a "fantasy" paint scheme for the CSX.

Stealth units were all CSX gray from the walkway up and CSX blue from the walkway down. Some had the front and rear painted yellow with CSX Gray from the walkway up and CSX Blue from the walkway down, and some had the front, rear, walkway, and railings painted yellow while everything else was the same. Mine is like the second one described, with the front and rear painted yellow with CSX logos.

My other unit is #8503 SD50 in the "YN3" Paint Scheme, also known as the "Dark Future" Scheme. This scheme hit the tracks on in February of 2002. The Gray has been completely eliminated, CSX's new blue color (slighly darker then the old blue) and CSX's Gold are the new colors for the scheme. Black underframe and CSX Gold stripe's on the walkways, with CSX Gold tipped handrails, and both front and rear handrails are all CSX Gold.

Here are a few shots of both pulling a Woodchip Train

Now they just need a little weathering to hide the "shinnyness" of the handrails and paint lol
Trucklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 15:55   #2
TCWORLD
Mod Squad

Default Re: Athearn's SD50/60 Handrails are a pain....

The painting of the handrails is looking good so far, i look forward to pics of the weathering of them
TCWORLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 18:13   #3
Trucklover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCWORLD View Post
The painting of the handrails is looking good so far, i look forward to pics of the weathering of them
Thanks Tom, i always say im going to start weathering my engines, and then i never do, dont worry, ill get around to it one of these times
Old 11th March 2009, 20:47   #4
upnick

Hi Josh,

The rails look fine

Though weathering locos i'm not to sure about here .. all shiney and new dont want to spoil the new paint
upnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 20:49   #5
Trucklover

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnick View Post
Hi Josh,

The rails look fine

Though weathering locos i'm not to sure about here .. all shiney and new dont want to spoil the new paint
Thanks Nick

I havnt weathered a engine in a long time, the last time i did an engine was with some pastel chalks, and it turned out okay but not the best lol. Im sure with the Bragdon Powders, they will turn out much better, well see