All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Newbies to Model Railroading -"The beginners forum "
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 6th March 2007, 21:00   #1
tinlizzy56

Talking how do I wire my points ?

My question is how do I wire my points to a control panel with lights so I know which way my points are as in straight forward or turning to the left or right.
And how do I get a light to work on each turnout.
Being a novice I really don't know so please he me obi one your my only hope.

here is a picture of my stuff up

I have heaps of switches and at the moment the only way I know which is which is by the color stickers I have on them
tinlizzy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 08:25   #2
LancashireFusilier

Default Re: how do I wire my points ?

Depends on how the switches are operated. If motorised by a slow motion machine such as the Tortoise or similar there are some extra contacts ion the machine that you can use to run an indicator on your panel.

I myself am using the master switch by DCC concepts here in Perth Australia and they use a double pole double throw switch to control a small capacitor discharge unit to run solenid point motors from Peco. The circuit runs an LED as a light that is connected to the circuit so when I throw the switch my LEDs in the panel light up too.
LancashireFusilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 08:38   #3
DavidB

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancashireFusilier View Post
Depends on how the switches are operated. If motorised by a slow motion machine such as the Tortoise or similar there are some extra contacts ion the machine that you can use to run an indicator on your panel.
You can run indicator LEDs in series with the motor. No need to waste a set of contacts on the machine.

Cheers
David
DavidB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 08:39   #4
LancashireFusilier

just check voltage etc as you may need a resistor if in series with a machine.
Old 7th March 2007, 21:28   #5
CBCNSfan

Hi tinlizzy, maybe I'm wrong but, what you have posted look like Atlas switches for Atlas twin coil turnout machines. If such is the case there are no provisions for adding lights. If such is the case then there are two ways you can add indicator lites for turnout position indicators, one is a manual added switch circuit (the simplest) and the second would be computer or TTL logic circuit. To understand the second option it would be best to have some experience in electronics.

Cheers Willis
CBCNSfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2007, 22:08   #6
tinlizzy56

Smile Re: how do I wire my points ?

Thanks guys now I'm more confused than I was before.
I think 7 switches are Atlas and 4 are Life Like.
So its not possible to wire a light into the circuit so when the point switches it lights up as in one light would be green and the other red?

See what I had in mind was a large control panel with my layout done with thin tape and drill holes in it where each set of points would be.

So what I need is some sort of wiring diagram which would show me how to
or are there any books I can buy in Australia which show me how to do this.

Well anyway thanks for the help and all the best.
Old 8th March 2007, 01:38   #7
DavidB

That's what I've done, but I use Tortoises so the controls and indicators are quite easy to do.

I don't think I've ever seen panel indicator lights used with solenoid point motors.

Cheers
David
DavidB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2007, 06:18   #8
LancashireFusilier

That's why I am using the DCC Concepts Masterswitch product which provides the LEDs and the wiring and two masterswitch circuit boards and the DPDT switches for about AU$24.00.

http://www.dccconcepts.com/masterswitch.htm
Old 8th March 2007, 16:31   #9
CBCNSfan

Hi tinlizzy if you'll be a little patient I'll draw something that might work for you tonight .

Cheers Willis
CBCNSfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2007, 21:36   #10
tinlizzy56

Thanks I will look forward to your drawings some of the control panels look like they would work fine.
Maybe I could try sensors so each time the points switched it would activate a light.
I did think about doing traffic lights in my main st but its a country outback town in Australia and the only time you stop at a intersection is to let the Kangaroo's hop past.