All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Newbies to Model Railroading -"The beginners forum "
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd May 2012, 15:15   #1
CuriousCoot

Default Off and running.....

Just trying out posting a link to a photo here in hopes that as I leann and err I will be able to post photo-documentary exhibits when begging for help.

So, if it works here is a poor cell phone image of my first start-out on a layout in N Scale. The bench work, such that it is, id 1x2 and sheetrock screws built. I won't say "constructed" as that would imply a sense of permenance and my bench-work is FAR from that sturdy!! It is a work in progress and I am certain that my field engineering and jury-rigging experience will come in hands as I discover exactly WHY that darned let touched the floor last night and doesn't this morning!!

http://s1244.photobucket.com/albums/...3Dabeb132d.jpg
CuriousCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 16:35   #2
RW James

Default Re: Off and running.....

Here is your photo, posted:

How I did it - there is a little window below or next to your photo on Photobucket that has some Link options. All you do is click on the IMG code window and it copies the command and link into your clipboard. Then, paste it into your post.

Now a few comments about your layout - (1) I assume those are not at-grade crossings but instead the track will climb and cross over the other. (2) I am concerned about the reach to the middle back (against the wall). But I don't know how long your arms are. One rule of model railroading is that trains WILL derail in a place you cannot reach. (3) You have a mix of sectional and flex track there (and some unopened sectional track). I would use all flex track. You will be happier with the results.

So far you have avoided adding sidings and filling up every available space with track. This is good. You will be much happier if you can keep it simple.
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 18:00   #3
CuriousCoot

Hey RW. Thank you for the lesson on posting pictures. I started taking better images with my studio camera so I hope to post a "As I built it" kind of slide show. It's good to critique the process. Now that I know I can do that through Photobucket it will make life easier!

Actually the flex track thought is great. The cost is considerably lower I think.... and I'll have more freedom of movement with it. Doggon turnouts are expensive tho so I am forced to keep it simple. This was just a first layaround to get an idea what is plausible as I work between the flat surface and the Rail cad programs.
Old 24th May 2012, 14:37   #4
CuriousCoot

And the journey starts out at a crawl. As it should be.

Here are a couple of pics from this weeks efforts so far.

Needing a good name though.....