All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Newbies to Model Railroading -"The beginners forum "
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 4th April 2011, 01:55   #1
mysterd429

Default Buying an airbrush - seeking advice

Hi all. I'm buying an airbrush to paint models as I build them, and I put together what I think I need. Here's the list of what I'm getting:

Badger Air-Brush Co 200-20 Fine Detail Single-Action Airbrush

Propel Regulator

Portable Air Tank (5 Gallon)

2 x Badger Air-Brush Co. 50-0012 Air Hose, Vinyl, 8-Foot/2.44-Meter

I decided to go with an air tank instead of a compressor because it's one sixth the price, and I can always get a cheap compressor to fill the tank if I get tired of going to the gas station or using the one that plugs into the accessory plug of my Civic. The only thing I'm not sure on is how to connect the air tank to the regulator. Does this seem like a decent setup?

Thanks for your help, now and the last time I asked this question!
mysterd429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 09:26   #2
B-17_Fortress

Default Re: Buying an airbrush - seeking advice

The regulator looks like the type that fits small aerosol cans. I don't know the thread on the regulator. The air tank is probably a 1/4 or 1/8 BSP fitting, which are standard threads for fittings on mainstream air accessories here in the UK. I don't know if there any commercially available adapters that you can use to link the two. Personally I would have spent the extra for a combined compressor/tank. A compressor with a tank is essential to give a smooth airflow. A brush connected directly to a compressor results in a pulsed airflow from the pump which doesn't help give a consistant paint application.

As for the airbrush, it really depends what you want from the brush as to whether it will be any good for you. Badger is a decent make, and years ago, I had a Badger 150 dual action. I'm now using an Iwata Kustom TH trigger operated dual action which cost around 300 ( US$450 ), but modelling is my business and it was worth every penny.

If you just want to blast colour onto models, the Badger 200 is fine, but as it is a single action airbrush, you will struggle to use it for fine detail. The problem is with a single action brush is that as soon as you press the button, you get air and paint together. Sometimes the start of the paint flow spits, so you need to start the paint flowing away from the model and then move the brush on to the model. This limits the precision application of paint to small areas for weathering etc.

With a dual action brush, you either press the button or pull back the trigger which starts the air flow, but no paint. On a button brush, as you then pull the button back the paint starts to flow proportionally in relation to the amount the button is pulled back. With a trigger brush, the first part of the movement of the trigger starts the air, and the remainder proportionally controls the paint. With both of these types, you can have complete control of the paint flow from minute quantities applied precisely to large area coverage.

Hope this helps.
B-17_Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 12:41   #3
mysterd429

Thanks for the info. For now, I'm interested in just painting (with masking) and not weathering. It seems like a tough call, because either you get something you know you'll want to replace later or you spend a lot now.

Does the brand of the brush matter a great deal? I'm inclined to get a name-brand brush and go cheap on the other stuff. I found a complete set for $70. Is TCP Global a known company?
mysterd429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 12:53   #4
B-17_Fortress

Brand names are generally better than the cheap copies. With Iwata for example, you get a 10 year parts warranty. You get what you pay for. Badger is a good make, and for general colour coats and masking etc, you should be ok. There's a huge number of variables involved when spray painting; air pressure, paint type and thickness, pigment content, airbrush nozzle size, temperature, humidity etc etc!!! Good results comes from lots of experimenting and practice.

I haven't heard of TCP Global, but from their website, they seem to deal with all different makes of airbrush and spraying equipment. You can't tell airbrush quality from photographs, you really need to hear from someone with first hand experience of the type.
Old 5th April 2011, 15:16   #5
mabloodhound

I had an AZTEK (Testors) airbrush deluxe model but just couldn't' get it to work right. So after some in depth research and pricing I went with the GREX trigger model. http://www.amazon.com/Grex-Genesis-X.../dp/B002XQ2K5M .
But this is probably more than you want to spend in total. I am NOT an experienced airbrush user and due to a shaky hand needed something I could hold and operate. The traditional button type are difficult for me to use but this one is a dream. As said above, you get what you pay for and I've been there with the lesser models.
mabloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 17:34   #6
B-17_Fortress

A trigger operated airbrush is much more easy to use, and also means no chance of spatter as you can't release the air flow while maintaining paint flow as you can with a dual action button brush. This is my Iwata Kustom TH; a lovely brush and worth buying just for the box!!! It also features a built in moisture trap which forms a comfortable handle. A gravity feed brush also usually works better than a suction feed.