All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Newbies to Model Railroading -"The beginners forum "
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd February 2011, 00:41   #1
Smile 3rd time round.

I've purchased many trains and acces. through the years. but always through canadian suppliers. I've being on trainworld's online site quite a few times now, and would like some feedback from some of you regarding shipping and duty charges to western canada, specifically british columbia. This will be the 3rd railroad I'll build , as the last one I donated to the local club. Since I'm planning to use several hundred feet of track to begin it's important to try an save where I can. Thank you for your reply. Best regards, LordofAlco.
lordofalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 15:09   #2
Default Re: 3rd time round.

Welcome to AMR.

As far as Canada Customs are concerned toy trains (as they call it) isn't subject to duty. Shipping is subject to the individual seller. Pay pal apparently now requires that your purchase be insured ,registered and all sorts of other nonsense resulting in $20 + some shipping on something that may only be worth a couple of bucks. Having said that not every one will charge a ridiculous sum like that. If shipping isn't stated then request a quote.

Good luck

JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 16:11   #3
Roy Buchanan

Of necessity, I purchase most of my stuff on ebay. If the declared value is under $100 Canada Post usually won't bother collecting HST here in BC. If it's over $100 you can be sure they'll collect the tax and charge a handling fee. As suggested, always ask if a shipper will consider shipping via the least expensive means. If they won't then just ingnore them. Ebay collects their cut on the total, including shipping, that's why they want the most expensive means of shipping. Most sellers will ship via the least expensive means. So far I've never had anything go astray.

Good luck on your next build.

Roy Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 00:48   #4

No duty, but expect to have to pay GST. I just took possession of a replacement Santa Fe Northern 4-8-4 from a fellow who does decoders and weathering for a major online retailer, and was charged GST...on an exchange!!!

Shop around for your stuff. Try,, trainworld, toytrainheaven, cherrycreek, Empire Northern, Star Hobbies, Mainline Hobby, First Place Hobby. Also Dallas Model Works. The more you ask them to ship you, the more inclined any one of them will be to cut you a deal...could even amount to shipping.

Selector is offline   Reply With Quote