All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Newbies to Model Railroading -"The beginners forum "
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd May 2011, 23:56   #1
gbarnewall

Default Crooked Santa Fe name

Hi guys,I am wondering if anyone can help me,I bought an O scale MTH SD70ACe in Santa Fe's red and silver warbonnet scheme a while ago,and although only now embarrasingly noticing on one side the "Santa Fe" name is quite crooked,instead of sending the engine back to the US I was thinking of tackling this fix myself,by perhaps using nail polish remover to remove the offending "Santa Fe" then getting a decal made up,has anyone done something similar before?

Thanks for any help
gbarnewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 01:30   #2
jafo

Default Re: Crooked Santa Fe name

If you are using nail polish remover, be sure it is "acetone free" or you will damage the plastic severely.... I know, I did it once :P

I have tried many times to just remove the name or numbers from a loco, but never sucessfully. I usually end up repainting the whole thing.
jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 22:59   #3
gbarnewall

Thanks Jafo, you're right,I tried with acetone free but for the tiny amount of paint I got off in the time it took its totally pointless,I guess I will have to live with it lol,thanks again for your reply
gbarnewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 01:29   #4
poliss

You could try using a fibreglass pencil to remove the letters.
poliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 14:43   #5
Sidecar Bob

I have had some luck removing lettering by scraping carefully with the end of a sharp X-acto knife, but you have to be careful not to go too deeply or you will get into the paint below. Best results involve looking at it under strong magnification while working

The "fibreglass pencil" (aka eraser if you get it at a drafting supply, but I found them in the auto body repair section of Canadian Tire for cleaning out stone chips before touching up) will work, but it tends to sand away the surrounding paint too.

In either case, you may have to re-paint the panel behind the lettering.

Santa Fe is such a commonly modelled railroad that you should be able to find commercially made decals fairly easily, so you shouldn't need to have them made up.

But I would take a picture of the problem and send it to the manufacturer or dealer and ask them what they can do for you. They might be able to help without sending it back.
Sidecar Bob is offline   Reply With Quote