All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Photography and Model Railroading
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 25th February 2010, 05:10   #21
Qube
Administrator

Default Re: New forum - How to host and post images quickly

Quote:
But I'm wondering - what's better for the server's performance: Hosting the pictures here, or hosting elsewhere and linking?
I'd not worry about the server performance as you should find images hosted on AMR load a lot quicker than images located on those hosting services

Feel free to post as many images as you want. The AMR server is in no danger of getting full
Qube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 07:02   #22
JackBlack

Thats good then.
JackBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 23:28   #23
Tedh

Quote:
But I'm wondering - what's better for the server's performance: Hosting the pictures here, or hosting elsewhere and linking?
The Software used on this fourm is a heavyweight (and costs) and it's host server has the capacity. If some of you are reading this thread and thinking of having your own forum, then things may be different.

A lot of images can fill up your quota - fast, so you'd probably need to think about limiting their size to around 50k max. Linking to images is good if you have a cheap host and limited space, but - they aren't always there. In such cases you would need software that checks if they are available and if not just leaves a blank instead of an empy image holder. Some free forum software may do this, but I'm not sure which.

As to AMR's 4mb image max size, that's fine if you have blindingly fast broadband, but modem connections will take forever. Pluse some are so big there is a sideways scroll issue (a web design no-no).
Tedh is offline   Reply With Quote