All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Photography and Model Railroading
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 8th June 2010, 04:37   #1
hpept

Default Three dimensional photos

I was wondering if someone alraedy thought to take 3d photo of the layout in the form of stereographic pairs.
Theory is quite simple: you have to take two identical shots of the same subject by simply moving the camera from one eye to the other and put them side by side, with the right photo on the left and vice versa. Then, to observe the 3d effect, just cross your eyes to form a third central image which will appears three dimensional. Very simple, no need of sophisticated hardware, just a little bit of editing of the image to create the pair.

Here below is one quick shot of my layout, a road scene.
To be able to see it in 3d, click on the picture below to open it bigger, then just use the black dots as a reference. Cross your eyes to provoke double vision and try to focus the two dots into a third, central one. At this point, the virtual central image will just pop out of your screen in 3d. Try to believe it.

If someone else has examples, please post it.

hpept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 05:15   #2
RW James

Default Re: Three dimensional photos

Almost - I think you might have the two shots too far apart. I can get the car in the middle ground focused but the sign above is in two different spots.
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2010, 14:58   #3
hpept

Hi Rick,
the shots were taken slightly slanted, so thing that are very close to the lens might be misaligned. Maybe taking a shot with more far away subject can help to blend the two images together when crossing eyes. I trained my eyes so that I instantly catch up with the 3d image, but may be it can be difficult for people which are new to this.
I'll try to take another shot to see if the visualizations is improved. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 8th June 2010, 16:33   #4
RW James

Oh, I could see the 3d alright. It's just that some things were out of place. It seems to me that if the white car is seen as a solid object, the sign above it should be as well. The photos like this that I have seen are nearly identical with a very small movement between the shots. And I'm pretty sure both shots should be in the same plane - as are your eyes.
Old 8th June 2010, 17:02   #5
TCWORLD
Mod Squad

There was an article of this sort of thing in the N-Gauge society journal, whereby the writer took two images at slightly different angles, and then combined them in a program to create an image that if you look at it through 3D glasses, you get 3D photos.

There is another method, which uses a program called Helicon Focus, which if you take a series of photos at evenly spaced focal lengths from the same position, it can form a virtual 3D object. Not sure how well it works though, my attempt didnt't go according to plan, but I think that was because the focal steps weren't in the right order.
TCWORLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 14:01   #6
Selector

It is an interesting idea. I was unable to focus more than the middle 'third' of the intended 3D image. I also feel the images are too far apart, but there is the problem of some things being in one image and not the other. For example, in the left image, the building at right in the distance....it does not appear at all in the right hand image. What is the brain to do with the artifact that appears in one image, but when there is no comparative in the other? This problem is the same for the red bus or van.

What I am saying is that the eye must be able to make comparisons with a full counterpart, so care must be taken to have the same field of view, just one that is set aside and the camera swung in azimuth to afford it.

-Crandell
Selector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 20:16   #7
hpept

@Selector
In principle you are right. Information shoud be present from the two eyes for the brain to compare them and build the 3d image.
Taking pictures in usual landscape format, which aspect ratio is about 4:3, limits very much the horizontal FOV of human eyes, which can arrive to almost 180 degrees, so that it's very easy for one subject be in one photo and not in the other.
When I took the picture, I simply used the galileian viewfinder and shot the right image by aiming with the right eye, and then, without moving my head,put the camera viewfinder on my left eye and shot the secon one. So the two images are correctly far apart.
The problem is that there are some subjects in the photo, such as the green car or the traffic panel which are very near to the eye, thus appearing very separated in the two shots and very difficult to match with the crossview.
Human eye, in natural vision, selectively focuses on the subject and blurs the rest of the image and the brain simply discards the conflicting information of the weak eye. In a photo, all the scene is there, on the same plane (paper or tv screen) and it's not easy to select visual information. I hope that what I wrote makes some sense...LOL.
Old 12th June 2010, 02:32   #8
hpept

Anther 3d view of my layout. Shot is much more crisp than the other due to the bigger distance of the subject. Just click to enlarge.

Old 12th June 2010, 03:58   #9
RW James

Much better! Very well done
Old 30th June 2010, 13:44   #10
Onei

Yes, the second version works better for me as well.
Onei is offline   Reply With Quote