All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > The Narrow Gauge Lines
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 24th January 2010, 16:40   #1
gringo

Default Re-gauge HO mechanism to HOm? Modern narrow-gauge MAINLINE in Brasil!

So Brazil is amazingly interesting for railfanning- in addition to them receiving a LOT of 2nd hand gear from the US, a lot of it is re-gauged for 1000mm track.

So not only do I see old CSX and Burlington Northern U-boats down there, they're running on much narrower track- how cool is THAT???

Not only that, but they have Little Joe's, Alco shark-nose's and so many cool things...

There's a Brasilian manufacturer of these custom EMD locos (the G22 specifically), and they have a distributor in Miami.

http://www.frateschi.com.br/produtos...asicas_eng.php

The mechanism is prolly not so hot, but it should be easily fixed with a good Athearn motor... the only other question is re-gauging from "standard" to "meter" track.

So the question is, how hard is it to re-gauge standard HO locomotives to HOm?

I've been an N-scaler all my life, until recently- dabbled in On30 (love it!) but I really want to model Brasil, so HOm it is!

gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2010, 22:23   #2
Howqua
Mod Squad

Default Re: Re-gauge HO mechanism to HOm? Modern narrow-gauge MAINLINE in Brasil!

Thanks for sharing those shots with us.
Howqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2010, 09:07   #3
JackBlack

Default Re: Re-gauge HO mechanism to HOm? Modern narrow-gauge MAINLINE in Brasil!

Nice shots there Gringo.
JackBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2010, 20:46   #4
Made in Italy

It depends on how bogies are built, if they have an open chassis will be quite easy, but if (as I suppose) they are plastic moulded won't be so straightforward.
Franco
Made in Italy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2010, 21:33   #5
gringo

Having spent the better part of this week at work, er, "researching" (just gave my 2 week notice, and things are winding down here!) the matter, I think I'm going to actually use HOn3 rather than HOm. Seems there's more stuff available for HOn3 and really, the 3" difference between a yard and a meter would be pretty much irrelevant. (1.5mm, I think???)

Also, there is a nice selection of dual-gauge HOn3 track, and I just noticed Overland Models is coming out with all kinds of Brasilian Standard gauge locomotives. (The prototype is actually wide-gauge, but since I don't feel like regauging HOs (standard) to HOw (wide) I'm not gonna rivet count the fact that my "meter" gauge track is actually 86mm narrower than the real thing.)

But still have not found much on the web (surprisingly enough) on regauging HO to HOn3...

Anyway, I'm starting a new job in a week, and I'll be away in training for 2 months. I'm really going to kick this off when I'm done with class... keep you posted.

In the meanwhile, if anyone finds any links on how to re-gauge HO to HOm or HOn3 I'd love to see them (I'm told that a past issue of the British Peco magazine ran an article a whle back, but I can't find an index to search- anyone here have any back issues of the two magazines Peco puts out? Can you check?)

Thanks!
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2010, 23:15   #6
Howqua
Mod Squad

I hope you do well with the training Gringo,I bet you can't wait ti restart the modeling.
Howqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 20:46   #7
Made in Italy

A thought that has just jumped to my mind why don't put "S" scale bodies on HO chassis?
Made in Italy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 14:21   #8
mosslake

The Model Railroad Craftsman ran an article on converting a Bachmann 70 ton switcher to HOn3. NWSL (nort west short line) a manufacturer, then brought out wheel sets for the 70 tonner with the correct HOn3 spacing when the originals are replaced. If you can just get the body shells check out this site for a HOn3 mech
http://www.hollywoodfoundry.com/
Hope this helps
mosslake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2010, 14:21   #9
Narrow Gauge Lover

Very interesting. Thanks for the pictures.
Narrow Gauge Lover is offline   Reply With Quote