All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > 0n30
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 10th March 2012, 13:48   #1
SimonC
Mod Squad

Default On30 Critter Turntable

"Get around, get around, I get around....Wah wa ooooo"
Not the beach boys, but the 5" critter turntable is ready to turn your small On30 lokkies

This is sooooo simple to make. the sub-deck and rails comes preassmbled, and as there are only 2 contacts I splashed out on sprung plungers (electronic industry types) that fit snugly in pre-lasered holes and are fully toleranced to ensure reliable contact. motor and gears turn it real slow (45seconds for one rev with a single AA battery) - I even put in AA cell battery holder and the switches you'll need in the kit - all you need is a bit of glue, wires...and a Critter.
More info at http://www.kitwoodhillmodels.com/on30-small-turntable/

If you are into On14 then I also made a 14mm gauge version just for you!
SimonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 17:38   #2
Biglars

Default Re: On30 Critter Turntable

The turntable looks great and it looks like you have the drive figured out. Cutting the turntable kit with a laser is very creative, I believe it will allow you to easily create many other versions.

The one thing I would say is there were not that many fully decked turntables unless you were in a very high snow area or the turntable was very short.

Any thoughts on creating laser cut bridges that could mount on top of these drives. I believe most ON30 guys would forgive the bottom of the pit moving with the bridge.

Larry
Biglars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012, 18:34   #3
RW James

You're right Larry, I have been thinking the same thing. I know of some people that did as you suggest with the Atlas turntable. You need to make the pit as featureless as possible so people don't notice it turning.

But I've wondered about a floating pit, with an opening for the bridge - but perhaps that is over-thinking the problem.
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 02:58   #4
SimonC
Mod Squad

Aw come on guys! The turning deck is only 4 3/4" across. a Porters length. Like you said - its short - which is why its full deck!

So Rick and Larry you like to give me a challenge - but I'm way ahead of you on the 9" turntable -the 9" will have a pit
BTW, no way I am having a turning pit base! the "resin boys" would laugh at me
OK.....I 'll indulge you both - lets see what a pit version of the tiny turntable is going to look like.
If I can pull this off I'm gonna be expecting a least one order from both of you! ...just kidding

Lets start with pit depth. What do you fancy? Here's my suggestion:-
The pit is only 4.75" across - a tiny 19scale ft. I think it would only need to be a shallow pit or it will look wrong - maybe 3 scale ft in centre and 18" at rim?
I'm just going by the photos of the 50' turntable at Ridgeway on the RGS that looks to be be 4' at rim and 6' in the middle, and then resizing due to the turntable dimension.
While I can't cut a concave pit like Ridgeway's, I can step it. the step would carry the running rail. (code 70, jigged to get it perfect, but rolling track in tight radii is damn hard without kinking)

Then I come to the bridge. it has to be narrow. If it isn't there will not be enough pit left to see....and it may as well be full deck (doh!).
For electro-mechanical reasons, the bridge beams have to be at least 42mm (because the diameter of the outer pick-up ring is 35mm and I fancy to use 3mm ply for the beams for rigidity. So thats a 1 5/8" bridge width. A porter is 1.5" so that will work OK.

I am thinking the bridge will not have much of a deck - rather lateral outriggers laser cut from 1/8 section strip wood that span the bridge beams, and carry the rail assembly. Some of the guts are going to need to be covered up with deck planking, but the target has to be to keep it open as much as possible....otherwise may as well just have full deck (again...doh!)

OK, well I think I have the ingredients to make a pit version of the 5" turntable - lets put those into the design mixing bowl and see what turns up.
Old 23rd March 2012, 02:07   #5
Biglars

Simon,

Sorry, I was not suggesting a bridge for the porter turntabe. I was hoping for a bridge on a 9, 10 or 11 inch turntable.

Have you ever seen this real life porter turntable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVtUfkGZRSc
Biglars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2012, 13:31   #6
RW James

Larry - that is a great video! That turntable makes Simon's look HUGE
Old 25th March 2012, 02:17   #7
SimonC
Mod Squad

Hey Larry, that's even smaller than my wagon turntable (2 3/4")! Almost certainly can make that little one using the wagon turntable drive.
The 9 incher is coming on with the bares bones of pit and bridge ... so far looks like this:-

climax perched on top but no rails

next step is to fit the bridge support rail and wheels. - making the assembly jig so its foolproof will be fun. I have already built the assembly guides into the pit base so that it will be in the right place.

Obviously the pit wall is not in place yet - not sure how to treat that. There is space for wall on the inside of the pit, or I could put on outside so you can see the frames. what do ya think?

The track rails and decking aren't fitted, and there is operating bar to add. the cross members are scale 9"x9" timbers set at approx 2' centres - but looking at this may look better if they were 18" centres.
Old 25th March 2012, 02:31   #8
SimonC
Mod Squad

forgot to add the shot from above.
The bridge is cut from 2.7mm poplar ply. I'm loving this stuff - lazers cuts it like a knife thru butter. the cross members on this proto are pine, but I'll price up basswood for the kit. The pit base is mostly 4mm birch laserply.
You can see the track rails will be soldered to the PCB sections, which will then be "gapped". then some decking added.
Old 25th March 2012, 05:32   #9
RW James

Looking good!
Old 25th March 2012, 21:44   #10
SimonC
Mod Squad

Thanks Rick.
Using CAD, the laser and a bit of lateral thinking makes soldering and fitting of the circular bridge rail quite easy and almost foolproof!
The rail is flat-bottomed code 70 which has less tendancy to "kink" while it is being fitted.
The jig uses the axles that come with the kit to align the inner ring in exactly the right place so it is perfectly centred.

A single rail of exactly the right length is formed within the jig parts and the 2 alignment "PCB sleepers" soldered.

The outer jig can be removed and 30 other sleepers soldered into place.

Axles align the jig carrying the rail into the pit base. Flowing CA glue up against the PCB/ply joint glues them in place on the base nearly instantly.

et voila

Next step - adding wheelsets to the bridge.