All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > N / Z- Scale
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 26th November 2012, 03:32   #241
kaustav

Thanks Doug! I wish I could say that the layout is now complete, but unfortunately it's not! I still have to complete the grain portal and the conveyor belts, the coal discharge portal, an open storage shed, and complete the whole town scene at the left. Leaving aside my plans to install operating signals and other animations. This layout is behaving like a black hole - more time and money I put in it, it requires more!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0-4-0 Porter 01 small.jpg (234.2 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg 0-4-0 Porter 02 small.jpg (83.0 KB, 239 views)
kaustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2012, 22:26   #242
GWRman

I am glad to hear that you have not finished your layout. The more detail the better I think. Anyway just think of all those days that you would have sitting about twiddling your thumbs with nothing to do, ha ha. The only thing that gets me is the scale. I know that you can get more into the space as opposed to "OO" but I find it all a little bit too fiddly. I have just started to lay track on my layout "OO" scale in a room 9x9 feet square. I will post pictures when I have something to show. All the best to you and your wife.

Doug.
GWRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2012, 00:19   #243
kaustav

That's wonderful, Doug! Eagerly waiting for the photos. 9X9 is a decent area for OO and it should be exciting to see the room full of trains!

I myself am astonished to see how much you can put in less than 18 sq ft in N scale. I thought in 2 years I would be well over "finished", but as it seems right now, it will keep me busy for quite some time now! I am sure your 9X9 will keep you involved for quite some time.
Old 15th December 2012, 00:45   #244
kaustav

Well, I really wish I could complete the layout before this forum shuts down - but unfortunately, I guess I am a little delayed. In case I never get a chance to post another thread - please stay in touch through my blog,or facebook. Or simply search for Wrightsville Port in Google!

Take care everyone!
Old 5th January 2013, 01:30   #245
kaustav

Default More Lights!

Well, since the forum lives, so will my thread! And on the positive spirit of this New Year and the resurrected forum (Thanks David!), here goes my next update:

My focus is to install more lights in the existing part of the layout at the moment. All my high voltage (12-16V) lights are installed, so all that I am left with are LEDs and 1.5 v micro bulbs.

First, two spot light on top of the freight house facing the loading dock. This are 2mm Model Power Micro bulbs on top of 2mm dia aluminium tube and inside a thin cardboard housing, having aluminium foil as reflector. I wouldn't say that they serve a great purpose in lighting the area (which you can't expect from a 1.5V/2mm ulb anyway!) but they are very nice cosmetic touch with a great deal of realism.

In the photo above, you can also view the "actual" spot lights made of a couple of white LEDs and you can spot that on the far left of the photo, right in front of the bridge. These twin 3mm LED white spot lights actually make the area light up!

Now, the next bit were a couple of spot lights on the jib of the cranes:

Both are Mitey Lites 1.5 mm/1.5V micro bulbs in thin card stock housing and aluminium foil reflector inside. In the photos, you can spot the thin wires if you look carefully. The connection to these lights were done through the rails on which the cranes stand. Here is an overall photo:

Now, the last bit was a flood light, a glimpse of which you can see on the picture above. For this one, I made a lamp head with six 3mm white LEDs on a 110mm tall tower.

I have also changed the color scheme of the super structure lighting of the container ship, Betelgeuse and changed it to white from yellow. Good quality yellow LEDs are extinct in this part of the world and I didn't have enough to replace the burnt ones.

At last, here is a view of the whole port from about 500 yards into the Atlantic!

Old 5th January 2013, 02:28   #246
Howqua
Mod Squad

Nice work !
Howqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 05:05   #247
spyder62

Great work the night shots are fantastic
rich
spyder62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 18:36   #248
kaustav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howqua View Post
Nice work !
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder62 View Post
Great work the night shots are fantastic
rich
Thanks guys!
Old 6th January 2013, 12:51   #249
b12brother

Awesome work man.

Alain
b12brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2013, 13:07   #250
GWRman

I like the last shot, so realistic looking. Hard to believe it is only "N" gauge.

Doug.
GWRman is offline   Reply With Quote