All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Detailing and Weathering
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 6th January 2009, 08:31   #1
Trucklover

Default Trucklovers Weathered Rolling Stock

Hi Guys

Ill post all the weathered rolling stock i do from here on out in this thread. At the Great Train Expo show this weekend i got a set of Weathering Powders that contains Light Rust, Medium Rust, Dark Rust and Soot. Its made by Bragdon Enterprises and i picked up the set of 4 for $18.00 at the show. Works just as it says too
Trucklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 08:34   #2
Trucklover

Default Roundhouse CNW 50' PS Ribbed Side Boxcar

We will start off with the first car i did with tne new powders, a Roundhouse CNW 50' PS Ribbed Side Boxcar.

I used a mixture of all four colors from the set to get this end result of the car, applying one color at a time and then going back with the light rust in the areas that got to dark. This is the first car i did with the new powders and i think it came out pretty nice, i didnt even practice before i did this one lol

Before applying the powders, the entire car was coated with a light mist of cheap grey primer to help the powders grip better and stick better. It says no dull/flat finish is required, but i will be spraying the cars with Floquil Flat Finish when i get my airbrush like Wayne does lol. The roof of the car did not come out as well as i would have liked it, i think i need to spray some more gray primer mist on there to help the powders stick a little better, so thats what ill be doing next.

Old 6th January 2009, 11:05   #3
upnick

Default Re: Trucklovers Weathered Rolling Stock

Hi Josh,

The car looks cool dont forget to do the underside
upnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 11:48   #4
Howqua
Mod Squad

Looking good Josh,keep it going show us some more.
Howqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 20:38   #5
Trucklover

Thanks Nick and Keith for the comments
Old 6th January 2009, 20:39   #6
Trucklover

Default Eastern Car Works CNW 65' Mill Gondola w/Load

Next up was an Eastern Car Works CNW 65' Mill Gondola w/Custom made Barrier Load.

This car came as a kit so i assembled it and then weathered it. I started off with a light coat of cheap gray primer mist. Then proceeded to add a mixture of all 4 powder colors again. This time i also did a little underside weathering as some of it is visible when sitting on the tracks. The CNW boxcar i did not weather the underside because you cant see it when its sitting or rolling down the tracks lol.

The load for the gondola is made from a pack of Rix Products Highway Dividers and some match sticks used for the stickers in between the 2 rows of barriers. Ive also added some scrap stickers from previous loads, along with some "dirt/coat/gravel" from other previous loads the gondola may have carried in the past and from normal everyday life on the rails.

So, here is the car all weathered up. The next time i post, i will post some before and after shots, that should be interesting to see compared

Old 6th January 2009, 20:54   #7
RW James

Nice weathering job...

I have a couple of questions:

(1) "light mist of cheap grey primer" - is that airbrushed or rattle can? Either way - was it hard to not get too much color? I'm guessing airbrush would be easier, but I don't have a lot of experience with that.

(2) "i will be spraying the cars with Floquil Flat Finish" - I used to use Testors Dullcote for a final finish - with no primer coat. I found that the Dullcote would reduce the effect and I generally had to go back and add more powder. But a final finish was needed if the car was to be handled at all. With a primer coast that may not be necessary - but I wonder if the Flat Finish would still lessen the weathering.

Rick
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 21:03   #8
upnick

Hi Josh

Another great job .... hold off doing the locos till you've chipped them though ...lol
upnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 21:49   #9
Howqua
Mod Squad

Some more nice work Josh,I like the floating junk in the car as well.
Howqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2009, 22:23   #10
Trucklover

Thanks again Nick and Keith

These are so fun and easy to do, and they dont take all that long to do either, and its amazing how big of a difference some powders can transform a shinny car into a well used one in just a few mins