All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > Model Rail Operations
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 4th January 2007, 00:11   #1
dfloat

Default Runarounds

Hi, I'm a newbie here, trying to design a steam era shelf layout in OO. One quick question - as I haven't got room for curves this will be a shunting layout with a couple of hidden sidings. I'm looking at having a station with a runaround for the engine, and that is where my question lies:

- As I won't have any way to turn the engine round how does this work when running a passenger train into the station, running the engine around the carriages and then taking the train back out again? Because, for one of these trips the engine has to be going backwards.

So, is the way to do it by pulling the carriages in with the engine facing forward, then pulling them out again with the engine facing back, i.e. the carriages coupled to the front of the engine?

Or am I missing something here?

Many thanks,
David
dfloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 00:39   #2
B-17_Fortress

Default Re: Runarounds

That's exactly what happens at the North Yorkshire Moors Railway with their real passenger trains. While they have got access to a turntable, it isn't practical to keep running the loco away and turning it, so one direction on the line, the loco runs backwards, pulling the coaches.

Steve
B-17_Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 09:11   #3
Made in Italy

Hi,
Steve described the most common practice, but GWR on their branch lines had "push and pull" services where the locomotive wasn't "runrounded" at the end of the journey, while the coach was equipped with brake controls, whistle.
Franco
Made in Italy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 10:46   #4
B-17_Fortress

From a recent conversation on a preserved line near here ( Tanfield ), UK regulations prevented them from pushing passenger trains these days. It certainly may have been common in the old steam days, but not so now, at least on Tanfield and NYMR.

Steve
B-17_Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 12:35   #5
Made in Italy

Thanks for the information, in effect I was referring to past when these services were a daily sight.
Franco
Old 4th January 2007, 13:43   #6
Shamus
Administrator

Hi Dfloat and welcome to AMR

Shamus
Shamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2007, 01:11   #7
dfloat

Thanks for the replies, and thanks for the welcome.

David
dfloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2007, 05:18   #8
BR60103

David: tank engines were often regarded as bi-directional and would be run around the train and run backwards. I think even the suburban trains from Kings Cross were run this way, but I don't remember if the locos faced up or down.
I heard there was one branch line (on the Southern) which had an old small turntable, and the joke was that tank engines always ran chimney first, but the tender engines returned with the tender leading.
And again, in Red for Danger, there is an early condemnation of the practice of running express trains with the tender leading.
BR60103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2007, 02:29   #9
hartleymartin

I believed that tender-first running was banned on main lines.

It was always prefered to operate tender engines smoke-box leading, but there were exceptions.

In NSW, Australia the Tarana to Oberon Line was mostly up-hill with quite a few sections as steep as 1 in 25 (4%). Trains returned tender-first so as to ensure that there was always enough water around the fire-box crown.

It didn't matter whether tank engines were run funnel or bunker-first. They were usually designed with bi-directional running in mind.

If you were going GWR I would recommend having a 14XX with Autocoach Trailer. This prevents any need to run-around the train. Goods trains could be worked by a 57XX Pannier Tank engine, although I do believe that there were a few classes of Pannier Tank Engines that were auto-work fitted. Perhaps the largest locomotive you would operate would be a 45XX Prarie Tank engine.
hartleymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2007, 11:13   #10
Made in Italy

Here in Italy tender locos are preferably run smokebox first,
in case they have to run tender first there are speed limits for a rigid wheelbased ones.
The general rule is that firebox has to be downhill.
Franco