All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > 0n30
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 10th November 2011, 19:07   #1
SimonC
Mod Squad

Default Engine/car repair shop

Hi all.
The laser has been very busy this week! bricks and wood.
I started out thinking about the On30 equivalent of a wagon works (car repair shop to our US friends) handling 20' cars, and ended up growing it a little....well a lot! You know how it goes...if I add a extra 2 1/2 inch then I can handle 30' freight cars...another extra inch a climax/shay will easily fit....but where to put the C16...more inches!

So here's some work in progress shots with what may prove to be very verstile modular structure. The whole thing is held together with blue tac just now and these are first cuts.
The "front"

The other side: 15" long with doors at both ends will fit nearly anything if you laid track through it.

. shot from end (wall removed). Its wide enough for a climax. imagine the shot with lighting and a roof. (and floor, people, tools etc etc!!). Alternatively if the track is laid lengthways on the right, you can still easily get in a 20' car or a porter through the doors on the left.

enough height: 3 3/4" bay door clearance (3 1/2" with the track fitted). hmm look at that brickwork. the laser sure worked hard cutting that.

well got to go...some windows and doors to model in CAD now.
SimonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2011, 22:04   #2
RW James

Default Re: Engine/car repair shop

I like it! Well done
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 08:43   #3
spyder62

Well done Simon, as your finding out brick take forever to do. Like the modular idea that will make a easier to do kit.
rich
rslaserkits
spyder62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 11:02   #4
SimonC
Mod Squad

forever is about right! All the brickwork for this structure fits on one sheet. I press the "go" button then do something else for an hour but this involves little labour for me, just laser time, so I'm not that bothered when the other parts are pretty quick.
Old 11th November 2011, 23:05   #5
SimonC
Mod Squad

Windows and doors done. The sliding doors could have been done with a strip over the top of the doors which are glued in place - but that would look less industrial so I opted for cutting dual rollers for the sliding doors so the guts are on show. Effectively simple....and they really slide

close up of the rollers
Old 26th November 2011, 11:30   #6
SimonC
Mod Squad

After a quick change of design of the end walls this can kit now be built up as a 2 road engine shed handling 15" lokkies.
Doing the instructions now...step by step with photos. Not a short task.

The structure has enough hieght under the roof to convert to a short 2 road standard guage O scale shed - just need bigger doors
A version for my 7mm friends here in the UK methinks. 15" is useful for those tank engines.
Old 27th November 2011, 11:23   #7
Narrow Gauge Lover

Thumbs up Re: Engine/car repair shop

Very nice indeed. I like the convertability of the design, .....
Narrow Gauge Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 14:29   #8
Night Train

An excellent looking building. The modularity should make it doubly appealing.
Night Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 04:34   #9
spyder62

Coming along nicely Simon. I really like how you did the door slides they look great.
rich
spyder62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2011, 01:30   #10
SimonC
Mod Squad

Hi all. It’s done
The kit can be built up in quite a few ways as you can see in the pics. The roof lights have windows in the pics below, but I worked out a neat way of fitting louvres so they are included as an alternative.
I'm happy the way the shingles turned out. They are derived from pics of real shingles and represent 24” weathered shingles. High quality printed from a local printers then run through the laser to cut individual shingles in strips. Colour and tone is always a personal taste – the pics below show the roof after it has a single light wash of ink/alcohol. The roof is removable.(I’ll post some pics of the interior tomorrow).
I think maybe an industrial grade corrugated iron option for the roof (scale 6” rib) might also look good instead of shingles. Although I roll my own from ally sheet, that would have to be an extra price option as the roof area is so large.
Boards and battens are individually applied to the frames with peel and stick – the P&S on the internal frames so it can’t be seen. I’ve tried to make the inside as good as the outside.
I’m considering a floor option – if I can work out a simple way to handle 0n3/On30 guage difference. Having 2 possible track arrangements makes for some fun too
Anyhow - will be available when website comes on line in the new year.
Simon