All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > 0 / G scales (Gn15)
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 12th February 2008, 02:34   #1
hartleymartin

Default Port of Par Bagnall Conversion Project

G'day All,

Yes, I know what you are thinking. Another announcement from the mod who never seems to post a finished project on here. Well, I've gone in for a quickie (project that is, not with the missus!) and made a good start on it.

For those who are not familiar with the prototype I am talking about, here is a little bit of Wikipedia on it for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagnall...and_%22Judy%22

The Port of Par Bagnalls were the inspiration behind Bill and Ben from the Railway Series (later known as The Adventures of Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends, then Thomas & Friends). I have taken a hornby Ben (who was cheaper than Bill by $6 for some reason) and measured it over to do a conversion to an O gauge model.

As Ben stands, in 4mm scale he represents a very hefty and chunk 0-4-0 locomotive, with a spacious cab. However, using a 7mm scale ruler on it, the shocking truth is that:

1.) He is the right height and length for an O scale model.
2.) He is about a scale 15" too narrow.
3.) His wheels are at the wrong gauge
4.) Cylinders are a bit small.

I have pulled him apart and found that widening the footplate to 50.8 mm (2 inches), widening the cab to this width aswell, not to mention replacing the buffer beams and buffers that he makes a very close to scale model of the prototype he represents. The only other major hurdle is to re-build the chassis to the proper gauge of 32mm.

Will keep you informed as things happen!
hartleymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 02:42   #2
hartleymartin

Default Re: Port of Par Bagnall Conversion Project

http://www.all-model-railroading.co....ead.php?t=8869

Whoops, looks like I had mentioned it before somewhere!
hartleymartin is offline   Reply With Quote