All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > 0 / G scales (Gn15)
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 25th October 2010, 22:50   #1
gbarnewall

Default MTH Scale Wheels beginner

Hi all,

first of all I'm a newbie to the forum and also a newbie to the hobby,
I purchased an O scale MTH Premier Line AC4400cw 2 rail scale wheels engine,at first I wanted it as a static display unit but now I would have a great interest in getting it set up on a very small (room limiting) layout,

Here's where I fall down,I'm completely lost as to what I need to run the engine,and lost when it comes to terminology too,

The engine is DCS ready,i'm 99% sure,so is it as easy as buying the DCS system from a dealer,and I take it I will have to get my 230Vac mains power to 110Vac power,

Someone has mentioned Digitrax DCC to me too,are there any advantages with either?

I appreciate any help or tips

If anyone wants to know anymore please ask,

thanks Graham
gbarnewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 03:05   #2
BR60103

Default Re: MTH Scale Wheels beginner

Graham:
Welcome to the forum.
I don't know much about the MTH system. I have an impression that the DCS system is not the same as DCC. If it were (is?) you could buy a DCC system designed for 230V.
Depending on how DCS is designed, it might be possible just to put a 230-12 (or 230-24, whatever it takes) between the controller and the wall.
What I do know is that it is different to Lionel's system.
BR60103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2010, 23:28   #3
gbarnewall

Thanks David,

I appreciate the advice and your thoughts,
Hopefully I can get the engine up and running soon,and also learn much more from guys on the forum,the different threads and photos

Graham
Old 29th October 2010, 04:41   #4
RW James

Graham - I have a friend here in the states that is a MTH distributor and service representative. I sent him your original post and he replied with the following message:
Quote:
Mark Savage 28 October at 18:19 Report
Hi Rick!
Yes I can help ...... Please convey this message to Graham on the forum.
The MTH DCS system locomotive that you have purchased is complete right out of the box, it has authentic digital quality sound and a number of really cool features, even when run conventionally. The locomotive you have purchased is equipped with Proto Sound 2, a patented system which not only gives you sound but governs speed, smoke, chuffing rate etc. The loco runs fine with a conventional AC transformer and that means 120 volts A.C. that is reduced to 18 volts AC. There is a "Transformer guide" included in the the instructions that came with your locomotive, check it before you buy any new transformer. An MTH Z-1000 transformer would be a good choice at modest cost. NOW ....... if you want to use the Locomotive on the DCS system made by MTH, you would need the transformer and the DCS system. The system is a remote control and a track interface unit. MAY I add however that you do NOT need to buy it to access MOST the features your locomotive has to offer.
Forget about buying any other extras, you don't need anything but the proper transformer. As you know I am an Authorized Service Center for MTH trains and will be happy to help with any questions you may have. You can email me at docsavage52@sbcglobal.net at any time with any questions. Hope this helps ....... Mark
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2010, 17:52   #5
gbarnewall

Rick,that is fantastic,thank you so much for helping me out and for forwarding on my situation to Mark,

This has actually cleared my head completely,now I know exactly what is needed

Many thanks,
Graham
Old 20th November 2010, 03:24   #6
gbarnewall

Hi guys,first of all thanks to all who helped me here with tips and advice,I finally got my hardware earlier today and was able to bring my AC4400 to life, here is a short clip of it,this is the first run,a little bit jumpy at the beginning but I just had to get familiar with the sensitivity of the controls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CI1gHljSA8
Old 20th November 2010, 03:52   #7
RW James

Looks great! Glad everything worked for you.
RW James is offline   Reply With Quote