All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum  
AMR Shamus Cooncreek and Tumbleweed Springs AMR Shamus Badger Creek AMR Shamus How I make a model railroad

Go Back   All Model Railroading Community Chat Forum > Model Train Forums > 0 / G scales (Gn15)
Gallery Image Hosting Calendar FAQ Mark Forums Read

Old 28th September 2012, 19:00   #11
Blackcloud

Progress since Wednesday.

The mill building has been rendered with filler, I'm leaving this over the weekend so that it will have dried completely before I sand it down a bit and give it a coat of paint to blend in the door and window recesses. The roof is just a temporary mock up but it does make a big difference to the building's appearance.

Down at ground level the areas which will have grass applied have been painted green to cover the bare filler and the mill pond has been painted black then mottled with dark green ready for the first application of PVA to start building up its depth.

Finally for now, the off stage area has been painted black so that it does not stand out so much.
Old 28th September 2012, 19:09   #12
Made in Italy

Well, that brown isn't so bad!
Franco
Made in Italy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 22:38   #13
GWRman

Looooking Goood Bob, It's all coming together nicely.

Doug.
GWRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 11:41   #14
Blackcloud

I've been waiting for glue to dry for the last couple of days (poured PVA for the water in the millpond), so I had a bit of time on my hands...
Will it be a OO copy of the O scale micro or will it be in On30? Time will tell.

I did actually consider Gn15 as well while taking the photos but the clearance between the two front tracks is a bit too tight.
Old 6th October 2012, 19:12   #15
GWRman

Definatly a case of "watch this space" which I will. Go Go GO>

Doug.
GWRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2012, 23:10   #16
Blackcloud

I've decided to opt for On30 on the smaller version, but the progress may be a bit slow as it is a secondary project and I'm determined to get the standard gauge version done first.

The shell of the building has been assembled but needs cladding before it is fixed in place. Probably going to be a combination of coffee stirrers for planking and corrugated paper for wriggly tin sheeting.

I've done a bit more on the standard gauge microlayout today, adding grass around the tracks and pond, but not got any fresh photos of it yet.
Old 7th October 2012, 16:16   #17
Made in Italy

Smile

Don't worry we're patient! :-)
Made in Italy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 09:46   #18
Blackcloud

I've been sanding down and painting the rendering on the mill building. Visibly it's not made a lot of difference other than that the window recesses are now white instead of showing the coffee stirrer construction. The roof, previously tacked in place with a couple of nails, has been permanently attached ready for cladding with corrugated paper to simulate pantiles. The building is now fixed in place on the layout so that it can eventually be blended seamlessly into the scenery. Note that the rendered whitewash finish is far from smooth, this is meant to be an old stone building with cement rendering, patchwork repairs and many layers of whitewash applied over the years.

In connection with Lyddlow I've purchased a couple of extra wagons on Fleabay recently. These bring the fleet up to a total of six, which is enough for the microlayout to be used as a shunting puzzle once a card system is devised to determine where each wagon is consigned to.